• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Samarathon

David Day

Slightly Addicted
Well, July is fast approaching and I’ve decided to up my game for Samarathon.

The vanilla challenge is, throughout July to walk, jog or run a total of 26.2 miles in order to raise money for the Samaritans, but I’m a systems analyst and decimal points give me a headache….
So, I’m scrapping the decimal point and aiming for, in 31 days, to run, jog, walk and most probably crawl a total of 262 miles!
…… roll on August!!!!!

https://samarathon2019.everydayhero.com/uk/david

Capture.PNG

Samarathon Prep – Week 1
I’m super excited for Samarathon in 6 weeks!
The only issue is I may have bitten off more than I can chew given my current personal fitness…..
But 6 weeks is six weeks!
I have a six week detox and fitness plan setup so that I’m fighting fit for July 😊

Six week slimdown DVD – Check
Small free weights – Check
Meditation/Yoga DVD – Check
Wii Fit dusted off an setup – Check
All the nice food an booze removed from my house – Check
Motivated as hell – Check!!!
Overview Stats:
Chest – 109cm
Waist – 109cm
Midriff – 114
Hips – 109
Weight – 95kg (about 15 stone)
BMI – 26.82
On the plus side…. I cant exactly get much worse!!!!
Week 1 will comprise mainly of light cardio as its been a long time since I’ve done any structured exercise. I’m not expecting miracles but hopefully we can get my BMI down and my stamina up ready for Samarathon 😊
Wish me luck!!!!!

IMG_0363.JPG

Samarathon Prep – Week 1
I’m super excited for Samarathon in 6 weeks!
The only issue is I may have bitten off more than I can chew given my current personal fitness…..
But 6 weeks is six weeks!
I have a six week detox and fitness plan setup so that I’m fighting fit for July 😊

Six week slimdown DVD – Check
Small free weights – Check
Meditation/Yoga DVD – Check
Wii Fit dusted off an setup – Check
All the nice food an booze removed from my house – Check

Motivated as hell – Check!!!
Overview Stats:
Chest – 109cm
Waist – 109cm
Midriff – 114
Hips – 109
Weight – 95kg (about 15 stone)
BMI – 26.82
On the plus side…. I cant exactly get much worse!!!!
Week 1 will comprise mainly of light cardio as its been a long time since I’ve done any structured exercise. I’m not expecting miracles but hopefully we can get my BMI down and my stamina up ready for Samarathon 😊

Wish me luck!!!!!

View attachment 17410
good luck David 👍

Good luck with it mate, that's a lot of miles, I'm sure you've done the arithmetic but miss a day or two and it will soon pile up. I wouldn't worry about your weight and fitness too much as long as you're properly up for it. I'm over 50 and 19 stone and can walk for miles with a bag on my back. Its easier on the flat than up and down the hills right enough. :lol:

How are you planning on structuring the miles ? Having a daily target or less miles per day through the week and catching up at the weekends ???

Good luck with it mate, that's a lot of miles, I'm sure you've done the arithmetic but miss a day or two and it will soon pile up. I wouldn't worry about your weight and fitness too much as long as you're properly up for it. I'm over 50 and 19 stone and can walk for miles with a bag on my back. Its easier on the flat than up and down the hills right enough. :lol:

How are you planning on structuring the miles ? Having a daily target or less miles per day through the week and catching up at the weekends ???

I know, its not going to be (and sorry for the pun), a walk in the park!
If I can stick to 7 days a week thats 8.46 miles a day (a little over 2 hours at my normal pace).
Missing a day is obviously the biggest issue as it can have a huge effect to the rest of the month.
Ive setup a simple tracker to monitor my progress ( an yes, there's loads of formulas in there :) )

Capture111.PNG

The weekends I think I can go above and beyond my quoter an this way try and get ahead of the game.

Its not going to be easy but its a charity very close to my heart, its worth the sore legs :)

Reactions: Bam
Ive also got my 6 week exercise plan setup aswell.
Im increasing my daily distance each week as well as the number of exercises (an yes I know they have stupid names but its a DVD!)

Capture123.PNG

I think this is the most excited about health and fitness Ive been in my life!
Im looking forward to the weekends the most, during the week I'll be stuck on my treadmill for most of the time, the weekends though, there all about adventuring!

Supprising well!
Work commitments dont let me get out as much as id like but im doing at least an hour on the treadmill every evening an im sticking to the dvd evercises.
I feel healthly, I have more energy.... Im really looking forward to getting out an about more and Im really looking foreward to my weekends in July!
Camping and walking every weekend if I can get myself organised!

Only 1 week left till my challenge starts so im starting to wind down and rest my body, its been a good month training, cant wait for the real thing!

An average of 8.46 miles per day over 31 days (if I understand correctly) should be doable. If you're not used to the exercise you could break it up and use the cool of the early morning and evening to make it easier to fit in around work while avoiding heatstroke and biting insects.
Good luck D Day, I hope it goes well and you get something out of it.

Back