• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Sas Tactical Survival Bow

Offgrid hero

Slightly Addicted
I've just discovered this bow and I'm interested, I was intending to get a bow next year and I like the way this one folds away for storage/carrying, anybody ever used one?

Sorry bud I can't post links using my phone, I thought other folk might already be aware of the bow.

I've seen them on youtube, probably okay but not my sort of thing, I've got a couple of Slazenger wooden bows.

I know but they've chosen the name for a reason and even cashed in with their variation of the motto.

I'm sure it's a quality item but it does put me off, maybe it's because I am a soldier it comes across to me as trying too hard...

If you want something that is compact and can be broken down, then this fits the bill. Other than that this bow has no advantages over traditional Bows at all, in fact it has a few draw backs (excuse the pun). The angle between the string and the arrow rest, because the handle is rectangular this Bow will exhibit a large paradox, making shots a little bit harder to be accurate, but that is all relative to practise. If you intend to pack this Bow then it will only be of use once you are camped and put together, you are going to miss an awful lot of opportunities as you come across small game etc, the time it takes to assemble it is too long to take advantage of this, whereas a small field bow can be strung in seconds and still carried on your pack. You will have to carry more Arrows 3 is hopelessly inadequate. I'm not saying don't buy it, just be aware of it's limitations as compared to a standard Bow.

There's another one a P. G. U folding survival bow, thinner box section, quicker to assemble?

There's another one a P. G. U folding survival bow, thinner box section, quicker to assemble?
That's a plus, being able to string your bow quicker is a definite advantage in my book. You'll need a few spare arrow rests as well in case you damage or lose the one on the bow,plus any archer worth his Salt carries a spare string;)

I prefer a wooden bow myself but then I am an old fashioned traditionalist.

There are dozens of bows that have been produced over the years with interchangeable laminated limbs so that you can alter the draw of the bow. They may not pack down quite as small as this SAS bow but I suspect they perform better.
A lot of the compound bows aren't actually all that large fully assembled and will also perform well
Something that wasn't made all that clear in the demo video is the arrow length, I have long arms and as a consequence a long draw so I need long arrows. Using short arrows to hunt requires a completely different technique more like the bushmen of the Kalahari desert would use. (A short draw and very light arrows tipped with poison where the barbed tip of the arrow breaks off and stays in the wound, the arrow only needs enough force to break the skin whereas an arrow from a longbow can kill outright)

The arrows are 31" I think for the p.g.u and are threaded in the middle to half the size, pricey mind.

Back