• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Save water please

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
Just two articles from todays news in Wales regarding the water supplies here. These river systems are also responsible for supplying the West midlands, Merseyside and part of the South West of England.
The news is currently full of politics and war but we’re also facing the prospect of a hot dry summer with very little rainfall.

Last edited:
We have been asked to save water here in the SW......so that tourists have enough........not had a cup of coffee for 4 days.
Well done that man

Nice to hear that you are putting others before yourself

If we ever get to the stage where we need to make a final stand I would like you to take your place beside me in the trenches

That said I'm guessing that you have had 8 cups of tea instead ! ;)

More reason for the water companies to start building desalination plants, (convert salt to fresh) start pumping into reservoir’s.
This really give me arse ache, farmers using bore hole in the water table, water cannon crops during hot daylight hours where it just evaporates in the heat, at least do it at night when cooler, 🤯🤯🤯

When SWW built Roadford Reservoir in Devon, back in the 80s, they said we would NEVER have water shortages/restrictions again……I used to work for SWW!

So I am holding them to it!

Good luck fellas

I always think of UK as a place that always seems to be raining when I have visited. Cold miserable rain. Wishing you all a bit of that before too long.

Alan 🤞

Hi Alan :)

Nice thought mate.

Yes.....England is often referred to as "The green and pleasant land"......it is neither green nor pleasant at the moment :rolleyes:

FULL of green inadequate politicians perhaps.

Nobody wants hosepipe bans but nobody wants a reservoir on their doorstep.
🤷🏻‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Water companies have been selling off reservoirs to developers for years grabbing quick cash safe in the knowledge that when the going gets tough they can ask for government hand outs. We are being shafted by all the industries that were privatised years ago to make them more cost efficient.
Keep building houses because we have to accommodate the increasing number of citizens most of who can't afford those houses. What they forget to improve is the infrastructure. Sewage treatment works operating at full capacity, roads not improved to handle the volume of traffic and of course the main issue a shortage of water.
Lets look at Malta, very little in the way of natural springs and yet they can have a sprinkler going for 24 hours if they want to. No sign of hosepipe bans ever and why, because they have numerous desalinisation plants. We like them are surrounded by water and the only answer to a drought is a hosepipe ban...... Rant over

Other countries have and are using, building desalination plants with great success, irrigating crops and gently topping up water reservoirs so as not to upset the water eco system.
Not this lot, they can’t even figure out what gender they are, Men, Women or a f##kin toaster, had my rant🙄

I shouldn’t laugh but it dose round things up 🤔 “toaster” lol, I call them figget spinners.

Is there a reason for the uk not building desalination plants ??

I shouldn’t laugh but it dose round things up 🤔 “toaster” lol, I call them figget spinners.

Is there a reason for the uk not building desalination plants ??
Only that the need for them is fairly recent and they’re comparatively expensive to run compared to rainwater capture and reservoirs.

Back