• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Save water please

The main issue with water supply in the uk is wastage; my supplier in Manchester is untitled utilities who are rare amongst suppliers in that they don’t have /pay for bore holes as they have traditionally relied upon a fairly steady rainfall across the southern Lake District and the Pennines. Because of the historic levels of rainfall until recently they’ve got away with losing about a third of the water they’ve pumped to wastage and still paid massive dividends and staff bonuses but clearly recognise that this isn’t a ‘green policy’; in Manchester at the moment they are actually investing in relining most the water mains to prevent wastage, presumably to maintain the bonuses rather than hit the green targets!

Sorry, while I’m on a rant, the f##kin Met office, thunder, a risk of flooding, yellow weather warning today in Norfolk, 🤔 bugger me had 10 min of drizzle at 13:00 at home, 5 min at site at 15:00 ish (30 miles away).
Couldn’t even get that right with all there technology,.🤯
As a trained meteorologist and ex-employee of said Met Office, perhaps you could explain to me how it is possible to predict the movement and stability/instability of individual cumulonimbus clouds, which are what produce thunderstorms, tornadoes and showers? It would be like me asking you to shoot a bird with a twelve-bore and predict where each individual pellet would land.

Last edited:
Exactly, its a assessment and interpretation of the observed technical information received from satellites, the information to the best of there ability passed on through the media and web sites. Unfortunately it’s nearly alway inaccurate, only watching on TV to see the shapely weather girls who advise.
🤔 truthfully go see if the cows are laying down, not a good looking as the weather girls but seem to a better prediction.

@RWS Excalibre
Cows lay down because they want to lay down, occasionally when they lay down it rains.
That's it.
After 40 years working in construction and being outdoors a lot, I can generally look at the sky in a morning and tell what kind of day it will be where I am. That's about as accurate as I need.

Back