• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Saving the life of batteries in the cold

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
How do you guys manage to maximise your phone's (or other gadgets) battery life when out in the cold?

Normally my mobile will last 3 or 4 days from a full charge but on my overnighter last weekend it was fully charged when I walked in but at 5% in the morning.
I kept it in my pocket and then sleeping bag but it still lost charge.
I also went through 3 camera batteries in a few hours.

I thought I might try something like this (or similar)
Design Go Go Travel Body Wallet
Link:
http://amzn.eu/d/dTS1VG3

I took a power bank with me during our last highlands camp but that's just more weight again.
Wondering if there's something like this that can be put into any campfire?
http://static.dudeiwantthat.com//img/outdoors/camping/biolite-campstove-and-device-charger-2517.jpg

biolite-campstove-and-device-charger-2517.jpg

Are you using Lithium Batteries Paul?
I think they perform a bit better in the cold.
When you are not using an appliance might pay to remove the batteries and keep them in a pocket....or in the sleeping bag at night in a separate bag.........loose.

does it work well ?? do you have a charge time for a phone ?
I don't have a time for charging no, sorry, it works well if you can keep a) the heat source pretty regular and b) keep the water trickle fed, they work best with a heat difference between the plates, I was topping mine up with small amounts of snow,, I'll do a test this week :)

I don't have a time for charging no, sorry, it works well if you can keep a) the heat source pretty regular and b) keep the water trickle fed, they work best with a heat difference between the plates, I was topping mine up with small amounts of snow,, I'll do a test this week :)
thanks mate

What a nifty gadget :)

It would be interesting and helpful to know how much Meths/Gas it would take to charge a phone fully.........and the time involved :thumbsdown:
Look forward to hearing your thoughts after the tests Al..................could you include Meths and Gas in the tests?

I'll do a test on both yeah that's not a problem, the problem if going to be running the battery down on the phone, it takes days of normal use, I'll leave YouTube on today and run it down from its 43%

I would be very interested in this tests too.

I never noticed before that things like this are existing on the market.

But for an overnighter I think it's better to concentrate in the batteries.

I think with lithium batteries you wouldn't have the problems.

I keep the head torch (Petzl e-lite uses CR 2032 lithium batteries) in the pocket of my shirt and the mobile phone in the right side pocket of the trousers. Both do I usually wear in the sleeping bag, if it is cold.

When I am in the forest I switch off the mobile phone.

Somehow that works fine. But how and why I cant explain. I am no Engineer.

The second hour saw a drop in charge rate going 6% I put this down to the water and unit being at the same temperature, the peltzier plates ( spelling ) work better at a differential, colder in the chamber, so, 14% in 2 hours, not fast but it works, I did try and start a meths burn but it was sooting up the silicone so i pulled that test, will work on top of a metal plate or an ally pie dish I would have thought, so in theory could go over hot coals / fire, will test that out at the weekend.

Have had to stop now to sort Dad out.

Interesting Al......do you know if the charging lead sleeving is heat resistant mate?

Hope Dad is O.K.:thumbsup:

Hi Bill, yes the charging lead is heat resistant, it's a bit short to be fair but they've had to do that so it folds into itself, it's not a real problem as I just hang the other usb cable so it goes straight up as per the earlier picture, not the fastest charge but as long as you have water and a heat source you're ok, also good for usb lighting :)

And thanks, he's fine, just going through his morning routine :)

Oh, that means you would need a gas bottle to charge the phone!

Looks as if this is only a good option if you burn wood.

Back