• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Saving the life of batteries in the cold

@G1ZmO

Hi Paul.

We know you like tinkering with stuff and were asking about a probe type charger set up. ;)

Found this while looking around.
Unlike the Biolite and the Mini O that Al has (both good items).....this would not need constant feeding and attention.....it could be left with the candle (long burning type) for hours on end while you get on with your day........... and could be homemade?
This one is pretty basic and could be improved on build wise.

How efficient it would be I do not have a clue:rofl:

Just a thought:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oh, that means you would need a gas bottle to charge the phone!

Looks as if this is only a good option if you burn wood.

Any heat source that gives enough heat will do, you may have to adapt some sort of flame reflector, a tin foil Turkey roasting dish may work, that could be flattened for transport, in fact I'll try it this weekend.

I am sure I have one of those power generating plates somewhere. We used them on a beer cooling unit. They work both ways. Heat one side and generate a current and pass a current through and they cool one side and heat the other. We used to buy them from Russia! Had to pay in dollars.

@G1ZmO

Glad you found it of interest Paul :thumbsup:
Definitely looking forward to seeing your handiwork with lots of pictures of course:thumbsup::D
Good luck with it.....hope you are successful.

Back