• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Saying hello

New to the group. Saying hello and looking forward to getting hints and tips.
I'm ex army but always willing to learn new things.
Firstly can i ask if anyone knows of good boil in the bag food to take on a mini trek im doing soon, brekkie and evening morsels mainly.
Looking online they seem a bit costly for the crap in them ? Any tips gratefully accepted.
Welcome to the family mate, lots of ex military here

That's it, you find what works for you and go with it, sometimes you find/watch/read something that makes you have a think about stuff and re-evaluate. Budget plays a part too of course, same as ability which can be impacted with age. I'm a lot slower going up the hills now than I was 30 or even 20 years ago, I still get a kick out of it though. Me and my mate are going to do Hadrian's Wall at the back end of next month, we won't be breaking any records but we'll still enjoy it.
Ahhh Hadrians wall. Did it twice in 3 months a couple of years back. First bit from Solway firth a bit boring not much to see but moving into my home county of Northumberland everything changes. Amazing views and cracking areas of wall along the way. The bit after Heddon on the Wall is also long, monotonous last long bit along the Tyne is a stretch. I did it in 31 hours over 3 days in a January but suffered because of the cold wet weather. If you need any pointers as signage isnt great just ask mate.

Ahhh Hadrians wall. Did it twice in 3 months a couple of years back. First bit from Solway firth a bit boring not much to see but moving into my home county of Northumberland everything changes. Amazing views and cracking areas of wall along the way. The bit after Heddon on the Wall is also long, monotonous last long bit along the Tyne is a stretch. I did it in 31 hours over 3 days in a January but suffered because of the cold wet weather. If you need any pointers as signage isnt great just ask mate.

Cheers mate, might hold you to that. We WON'T be doing it in 3 days, I used to relish those kind of challenges, now, I'm a lot more chill (and fat and old :lol:) and happy to plod along, we might also be tempted by the odd hostelry along the way. :)

Cheers mate, might hold you to that. We WON'T be doing it in 3 days, I used to relish those kind of challenges, now, I'm a lot more chill (and fat and old :lol:) and happy to plod along, we might also be tempted by the odd hostelry along the way. :)
I know the feeling but i set the challenge for myself to raise more for a charity :)

Hi and a belated welcome, lots of good advice above, a cheaper in the long run option (I'm cheap as well) of you're into it, is by a cheap dehydrated and do your own meals, easy done and tastier than some of the garbage that I've bought, that said, a lot of the shelf meals are nice, check out ultra light outdoor gear, the do a range of foods and offer discount on bulk buys, I'm fortunate in they're just up the road lol

well met Odin. as a history and mythology buff it feels odd to be saying that: most who met the old traveller and knew him for what he was pretty much ended up regretting it. no reflection on the present company. :)

When I was cadre at Catterick a group of our trainees did what they referred to as Hadrians gallop from Wallsend to the Solway, running in pairs each pair did 4 miles before handing over the batton, completed in something like 13/14 hours overnight

Back