• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scallops

divebuddy

Staff member
Nice dozen tonight from 22 metres off Orestone in Torbay. Tea tomorrow. Think it counts as underwater foraging.
DSC_0888.JPG

Pretty nice.
As I have no clue whatsoever regarding scallops and mossels: Is there anything a "newbie" needs to pay attention to?

I think there are quite some toxic species around or not?

I think it depends on the water they grow in. They are both filter feeders so they ingest whatever impurities are there. Mussel beds can become contaminated in river estuaries from effluent. There are some rules I believe about flushing mussels and oysters for 30 hours before selling to the public. Scallops are normally in sea which is tidal but not normally by an estuary. I tend to let scallops flush themselves in clean water overnight before opening snd processing them. I only eat the central muscle part after frying lightly in butter 3 minutes each side. Mussels I boil/steam for 15 minutes in a variety of wine/water/herbs. Only eat the ones that open during cooking. Having said all of that, it's your choice and responsibility if you eat them. Local fishermen will be aware if there are reasons not to take the shellfish such as an outbreak of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP).

Thanks for the reply.

That is exactly why I keep my fingers of that stuff. As I do with mushrooms, simply because my skills are not developed enough to safely gather/forage them.

I am curious though how that works with mossels and shells because we are some 30km from the seaside, and I wanted to learn more about that field. We do have some in local lakes, too - yet the inland traffic on the waters just contaminates everything with heavy metals and other stuff. Humans...

I think it depends on the water they grow in. They are both filter feeders so they ingest whatever impurities are there. Mussel beds can become contaminated in river estuaries from effluent. There are some rules I believe about flushing mussels and oysters for 30 hours before selling to the public. Scallops are normally in sea which is tidal but not normally by an estuary. I tend to let scallops flush themselves in clean water overnight before opening snd processing them. I only eat the central muscle part after frying lightly in butter 3 minutes each side. Mussels I boil/steam for 15 minutes in a variety of wine/water/herbs. Only eat the ones that open during cooking. Having said all of that, it's your choice and responsibility if you eat them. Local fishermen will be aware if there are reasons not to take the shellfish such as an outbreak of Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP).

Back