• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Scrooge mode

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
I was looking at Cool Bags, the sort of thing for taking fresh food to a camp, particularly in hot weather. Don't panic, I don't plan on becoming a Bush Craft Cuisine practitioner...I'll just knock up this Bush Craft 5 course dinner, now, where's me 3 hundred weight cast iron cooking pot?....😆

Some cool bags are quite expensive for what they are, so todays project involved a £1.50p bag from a Discount Shop. Made of super tough material but lined exactly as the kit costing 6 times the price. So, Scalpel please Nurse...😎

DSC00286.JPG

DSC00287.JPG

Top half slides over bottom half, so it's double lined thickness...Onto the trusty Singer Sewing Machine...
DSC00288.JPG

Folds up small too. £1.50p, some sewing thread and 25 minutes....👍

A bit like a 'Make and Mend' session, Bam. 😊

Modern matelots don't bother with that any more, its straight to slops to 'one for one' everything. I've sailed with guys who didn't know how to sew a button on a shirt let alone a branch badge. Most didn't even take a needle and thread to sea. 😱

Ah! Such is progress....😊
It ain't 'my' navy anymore and to be fair, they're welcome to it, I saw the 22 as a finishing line. Up until covid I was happy enough to catch up with old oppos and swing the lamp but I've never got that misty eyed I wanted back in. :)

Ha! I know exactly what you mean, Mate. 👍 Even in the very early '70's when I came ashore, things in Merchant ships had begun to change. Probably meant nothing to non seafarers, but to most of us it signified the end of real seafaring, as a proper Seaman I mean.

Swinging the lamp now, but in the late 60's I was in a Blue Star Line ship on the West Coast of the States and Canada, loading tons of tinned Salmon in Vancouver and later pallets of tinned fruits in San Fran Cisco. One of the AB's had sailed in a sister ship the Fremantle Star. He told a yarn of how they didn't load cargo in the usual way, either by shoreside crane or swinging it aboard using the ship's Derricks. He said the shore gang loaded " Boxes" called containers apparently. He said in a few years all ships would be loaded the same and they wouldn't need proper Seamen to work the cargo gear, just one bloke on the quayside controlling a great big rig that lifted the boxes on board as they had in the Fremantle Star.
Star boat.jpg

I found a photo of her laden with a deck cargo of blue containers...

How we laughed at the time..Don't be silly we said, they will always need skilled Seamen....
Box ship.jpg

I bet there's not a man aboard who's ever been aloft in a Bosun's Chair...Not allowed now..Health and Safety...😜

Back