• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Sealskinz ??? What's about this waterproof socks?

I’ve got a pair of Aldi own brand calf length socks I use for mountain biking. Although waterproof they can feel pretty cold as the cold water is in contact with your feet even if they are not getting wet so I’ve got some thin merino wool liners and am very happy.

I’ve also got a pair of the sealskins gamekeeper socks which are a wool sock with a waterproof lining to the knee. Ive used them most when racing enduros inside my motocross boots as the boots are hard plastic and leather and you tend to wear them for up to 8 hours st a time in some of the races so chaffing and having sodden feet can be an issue; in that role they are brilliant.

I’ve also used them as a soldier when running field training inside my leather unlined boots; I found by airing them each evening then they are good for up to a week with ease.

I’m a big fan of both when used appropriately.

I've got some Sealskinz, I'm going to be a bit 'wishy washy' ;) and say I don't know how good they are, I've never done a direct comparison of walking through a burn in wool socks and then doing the same in the Sealskinz. Wore them last weekend and waded some burns and I had dry feet, reasonably old boots too.

Back