• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Mark Hampshire

Slightly Talkative
Hi guys

New to the forum here and looking forward to learning a thing or two from you all, read some great threads so far!

So the legalities of wild camping in the UK are pretty much known by all on here I guess, giving me the same issue I’m sure many of you do - how to find landowners in order to approach them and ask permission to use their land. I live in Winchester, Hampshire which is surrounded by amazing woodland, but none that I’m supposed to use. Up until now I have been discreetly spending a night or two here and there but now really just want a nice little spot I can build a small shelter, have a small fire and generally relax in the peacefulness of nature.

So far my searches have drawn a blank, so I present a question to you fellow bush crafters... do any of you know of any woodland landowners in the Hampshire area I could contact, or if you prefer, contact on my behalf if you’re not comfortable giving out details? I am aware of a few ‘nearly legal wild camp’ organisations around here, but if I’m honest it’s just not quite what I’m after. Any tips and information would be hugely appreciated! Thanks

Hi guys

New to the forum here and looking forward to learning a thing or two from you all, read some great threads so far!

So the legalities of wild camping in the UK are pretty much known by all on here I guess, giving me the same issue I’m sure many of you do - how to find landowners in order to approach them and ask permission to use their land. I live in Winchester, Hampshire which is surrounded by amazing woodland, but none that I’m supposed to use. Up until now I have been discreetly spending a night or two here and there but now really just want a nice little spot I can build a small shelter, have a small fire and generally relax in the peacefulness of nature.

So far my searches have drawn a blank, so I present a question to you fellow bush crafters... do any of you know of any woodland landowners in the Hampshire area I could contact, or if you prefer, contact on my behalf if you’re not comfortable giving out details? I am aware of a few ‘nearly legal wild camp’ organisations around here, but if I’m honest it’s just not quite what I’m after. Any tips and information would be hugely appreciated! Thanks

You simply have to go door knocking, ask the land owners for permission to camp occasionally on their land. DO NOT go door knocking wearing camo clothing & DO NOT carry a gun when you approach the owner. Stick to the main road/driveway to the front door of the house, to approach any other way is trespassing!

If anyone were to approach me with a genuine need to camp in my forest, I would not hesitate to give my permission once I was satisfied that they understood they were not allowed to hunt, trap or litter & not to make fire in the fire season.
Keith.

Hi guys

Hi Mark, like Keith said you can go knocking on doors, another alternative is to place an ad in your local farm shop explaining what you want and what you can offer in return such as clearing away any litter you might find and that as a bushcrafter our policy is to leave no trace of where you have camped

Just a thought. I have been beating quite a bit this season and know that a lot of the people I associate with own or manage the woodland where the pheasant and wild game spend their nights. For them it is all about having confidence in the individual and getting over the laughing of someone wanting to spend time in their woodland for fun:)

Another selling point would be to be present in the woodland and prevent poaching and look over the safety while they are not about. Countryside theft is a huge thing.

Just a thought. I have been beating quite a bit this season and know that a lot of the people I associate with own or manage the woodland where the pheasant and wild game spend their nights. For them it is all about having confidence in the individual and getting over the laughing of someone wanting to spend time in their woodland for fun:)

Another selling point would be to be present in the woodland and prevent poaching and look over the safety while they are not about. Countryside theft is a huge thing.
Good points John

Hi, Mark.

Might be worth contacting via Email in the first instance people and companies like these.

http://www.woodlandowner.org.uk/woodland-for-sale-hants.asp

They are sometimes glad to have responsible people as guardians and volunteer workers in the woods they look after.
In exchange for a bit of fence repair..... track clearing....... cutting back and reporting of incidents or concerns....you could end up with a nice camping spot.

Good luck with your search mate :thumbsup:

When looking for shooting permissions I looked at an OS map and googled the address of all the local farms

I then wrote to all of them explaining my back ground and aspirations including a stamped envelope with a separate address sticker so they could reply if they wished or use the envelope themselves.

I got some replies and a couple of thanks but no thanks and I got some small Permissions so all worth it in the end.

When writing I WOULD NOT mention the word prepper/prepping as for some reason some people aren't fans!!

Hi Mark, like Keith said you can go knocking on doors, another alternative is to place an ad in your local farm shop explaining what you want and what you can offer in return such as clearing away any litter you might find and that as a bushcrafter our policy is to leave no trace of where you have camped

Good ideas both, & worth a try, but I have always found it best to see these people face to face. I for one don't bother with notices in shop windows or in the newspapers, because I am not the one looking for something or someone.
Keith.

Anything you do to progress has to be good.

Let us know if you are successful with your search Mark :thumbsup:

Sorry it's taken such a long time for me to send a response, the start of this year has been kinda hectic. But some great ideas, so thanks to all! I've not had a chance to get any of these into practice but got a quieter few weeks so can begin to focus on this a little more.
1 Shot willie - great idea, i've actually been on their website a few times before out of curiosity but never thought of using them as a contact point for reaching landowners. ill be sure to send out a few messages to them.
Keith - you're right, I'm not sure posting in shop windows will have much effect but I'm liking the JoeColes approach.

I'll be sure to let you all know how I get on!
Hi, Mark.

Might be worth contacting via Email in the first instance people and companies like these.

http://www.woodlandowner.org.uk/woodland-for-sale-hants.asp

They are sometimes glad to have responsible people as guardians and volunteer workers in the woods they look after.
In exchange for a bit of fence repair..... track clearing....... cutting back and reporting of incidents or concerns....you could end up with a nice camping spot.

Good luck with your search mate :thumbsup:

When looking for shooting permissions I looked at an OS map and googled the address of all the local farms

I then wrote to all of them explaining my back ground and aspirations including a stamped envelope with a separate address sticker so they could reply if they wished or use the envelope themselves.

I got some replies and a couple of thanks but no thanks and I got some small Permissions so all worth it in the end.

When writing I WOULD NOT mention the word prepper/prepping as for some reason some people aren't fans!!

Personally I would opt for the knock to the door approach, an email, letter is an impersonal approach, most landowners would prefer to meet you in person, as normally there a good judge of character, if your looking for land to shoot be armed with suitable shooting insurance, if for recreational use suitable liability insurance. Which is what i have

Back