• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Security hedging - Any Tips?

Denidoom

Extremely Talkative
Bugging in scenario, the house is rural out of the way but not isolated. My house sides a rural road and although I don't think the hoards are going to pass on mass, it's not ideal from a security perspective. The garden/land has natural style farm field type hedging, but there are gaps in places and I want to do some extra planting to make it extra secure. I have already decided to increase the brambles in the hedge and plant some wild roses as I know from experience that the latter will shred you to bits when you mess with it. I have also decided to plant some holly and hawthorn. Anything else I can do or plant to make the boundary more secure? Particularly interested in stuff that grows quickly and this is north/west Cumbria and so needs to be able to put up with wind and rain.

I think I posted this before, it's a good starting point and all the plants on the list are hardy. I've used it for my garden and will do so again when we've moved.

http://www.northants.police.uk/files/linked/crime-prevention/Garden Security.pdf

I would also add Sloe.

ETA There's a plant that the council use, don't know what it's called but it looks like a cross between a Bramble and Rosa Rugosa and has orange coloured fruits that look a bit like a blackberry. It grows really quickly and is mean enough looking to do the job.

Last edited:
Blackthorn is a really good hedging plant to add into the gaps...the gaps can also be filled by partially cutting a couple of the adjacent trunks and bending them (pleaching) across the gap and tying them in or burying them so that they layer and send up new shoots.

Some really great ideas, particularly sloe as I love sloe gin! Thanks for that link, @MikeR some quick growing suggestions on there, just what I was after. (CrataegusMonogyna).

Blackthorn is a really good hedging plant to add into the gaps...the gaps can also be filled by partially cutting a couple of the adjacent trunks and bending them (pleaching) across the gap and tying them in or burying them so that they layer and send up new shoots.

Really good idea as what I do have already is well established. I hadn't considered the possibility of burying branches to encouraging new shoots, so will give that a go.

Back