• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Seemed a good plan at the time....

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
After a period of seemingly non stop attempted problem solving ( other people's problems !!) I decided to escape on a bike camping trip. Nothing too ambitious but I've always wanted to have a good wander around the City of Chester. Interesting buildings, Roman ruins and I'm told a Military Museum well worth a visit.
I found a small farm campsite close to the City, loaded up the bike and set off, about 200 miles via the scenic route from home.
A brew stop on route and a rare occasion when I was almost defeated by a "Bacon " sandwich...But look at it..:eek: It's more like Gammon Steak..
DSC00753.JPG
DSC00754.JPG

Anyway...I waddled back to the bike and set off again. Harvest time, slow Tractors and Lorries groaning under straw bale loads the size of small Bungalows made the journey a non rush affair, there are few dual carriageways in West and Central wales, so I enjoyed the scenery instead.
Nice small campsite on a working farm, on arrival a couple of caravans in one field but the small tent field was empty..pick your own spot..
And this is where my plan started to unravel. The ride had been a hot one, only the forward motion of the bike provided any cooling breeze and on arrival it was peel off the armoured jeans and jacket quick or melt while putting the tent up.
DSC00756.JPG
DSC00761.JPG

4pm and it is blistering hot, and I'm down to skin and shorts. The plan to ride the bike into Chester and then wander around the City wearing full kit and carrying a helmet is losing it's appeal unless tomorrow (Tuesday) is cooler.
So I sit and watch the aircraft making their landing approach to a nearby Airport. This one, an Air Bus was painted white with a smiley mouth and looked like a flying Beluga Whale..:D
DSC00760.JPG

And as my Daughter when 3 years old would say..Hellimacoppers too.
DSC00762.JPG

Tuesday was blistering! The occupant of the sole caravan told me that he was seeing 29 C on his Thermometer. I chickened out of the City trip. I'm too old and crafty to ride anywhere in Helmet, shorts and T shirt, even just 6 miles of busy main roads, so I went for a walk instead.
The River Dee flows close to the campsite and there are some really good cycle ways along the banks, a plan for a future Car camping trip plus Mountain bike.
Looking West towards Connahs Quay.
DSC00757.JPG

And East, inland.
DSC00758.JPG
DSC00759.JPG

Even the brown waters of the River Dee looked inviting as it slid by in the heat.

Plenty of wildlife about the campsite. Jays, Bunnies young and daring and enough Wood Pigeons to give Joe nightmares.. but this will cheer you up mate.
Evening, and I was flopping about outside the tent when a dark brown long haired Farm cat stalked by. I watched it as it stalked into cover close to a nearby water trough. The Moggie hid beneath the Field Maple to the right of the water trough.
DSC00764.JPG

I watched it for a few minutes but was distracted by Ladies wearing impossibly tight trousers riding horses around the nearby Paddock.
Suddenly there was a flurry of movement by the water trough, a wood pigeon had landed on the edge of the trough and was about to dip it's head to drink when the Cat burst from cover. What an amazing sight! The Cat cleared the water trough, it's front paws outstretched, claws bared just like a charging Lion. It knocked the wood pigeon off the trough and seized it by the neck.
At that moment I made a dive for my camera but in my haste the camera slid out of it's case and I had just enough time to recover it and take a quick snap of the Cat complete with Pigeon meal trot off past a nearby Trailer Tent which had arrived earlier.
DSC00763.JPG

Death at the Water Hole, not the Serengeti but Cheshire....:lol: If you are a Wood Pigeon never land with your back to nearby cover, even if you are thirsty...:rofl:
So my City exploration trip turned out to be a lazy time walking by the river and enjoying the last of the summer sun. Rode through thunder storms on the way home on Thursday, but at least the rain was warm! :thumbsup:

What Matt says.......you do them SO well!!
(Went to Lincolnshire and back on the Bonny the other week...300 miles approx., loved it!)

Also loving the look of the 350 Meteor?

"Also loving the look of the 350 Meteor"

Having ridden the R E Himalayan for 2 + years now, if I lived in Suburbia and needed a commuter bike I'd buy an R E Meteor 350cc without any concerns as I think for the price of under Ā£4000 ( I've seen Ā£3,750 quoted) on the road with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty and 3 years roadside cover, which is being quoted as the deal, is really good. I know they are different bikes, but just as a value comparison, a 125cc Honda CB 125 R is about Ā£4,400 and spares for them are available with............. a mortgage.

After a period of seemingly non stop attempted problem solving ( other people's problems !!) I decided to escape on a bike camping trip. Nothing too ambitious but I've always wanted to have a good wander around the City of Chester. Interesting buildings, Roman ruins and I'm told a Military Museum well worth a visit.
I found a small farm campsite close to the City, loaded up the bike and set off, about 200 miles via the scenic route from home.
A brew stop on route and a rare occasion when I was almost defeated by a "Bacon " sandwich...But look at it..:eek: It's more like Gammon Steak..
View attachment 39361View attachment 39362

Anyway...I waddled back to the bike and set off again. Harvest time, slow Tractors and Lorries groaning under straw bale loads the size of small Bungalows made the journey a non rush affair, there are few dual carriageways in West and Central wales, so I enjoyed the scenery instead.
Nice small campsite on a working farm, on arrival a couple of caravans in one field but the small tent field was empty..pick your own spot..
And this is where my plan started to unravel. The ride had been a hot one, only the forward motion of the bike provided any cooling breeze and on arrival it was peel off the armoured jeans and jacket quick or melt while putting the tent up.
View attachment 39363View attachment 39365
4pm and it is blistering hot, and I'm down to skin and shorts. The plan to ride the bike into Chester and then wander around the City wearing full kit and carrying a helmet is losing it's appeal unless tomorrow (Tuesday) is cooler.
So I sit and watch the aircraft making their landing approach to a nearby Airport. This one, an Air Bus was painted white with a smiley mouth and looked like a flying Beluga Whale..:DView attachment 39366

And as my Daughter when 3 years old would say..Hellimacoppers too.
View attachment 39367

Tuesday was blistering! The occupant of the sole caravan told me that he was seeing 29 C on his Thermometer. I chickened out of the City trip. I'm too old and crafty to ride anywhere in Helmet, shorts and T shirt, even just 6 miles of busy main roads, so I went for a walk instead.
The River Dee flows close to the campsite and there are some really good cycle ways along the banks, a plan for a future Car camping trip plus Mountain bike.
Looking West towards Connahs Quay.
View attachment 39368
And East, inland.
View attachment 39369View attachment 39370
Even the brown waters of the River Dee looked inviting as it slid by in the heat.

Plenty of wildlife about the campsite. Jays, Bunnies young and daring and enough Wood Pigeons to give Joe nightmares.. but this will cheer you up mate.
Evening, and I was flopping about outside the tent when a dark brown long haired Farm cat stalked by. I watched it as it stalked into cover close to a nearby water trough. The Moggie hid beneath the Field Maple to the right of the water trough.
View attachment 39371

I watched it for a few minutes but was distracted by Ladies wearing impossibly tight trousers riding horses around the nearby Paddock.
Suddenly there was a flurry of movement by the water trough, a wood pigeon had landed on the edge of the trough and was about to dip it's head to drink when the Cat burst from cover. What an amazing sight! The Cat cleared the water trough, it's front paws outstretched, claws bared just like a charging Lion. It knocked the wood pigeon off the trough and seized it by the neck.
At that moment I made a dive for my camera but in my haste the camera slid out of it's case and I had just enough time to recover it and take a quick snap of the Cat complete with Pigeon meal trot off past a nearby Trailer Tent which had arrived earlier.
View attachment 39372

Death at the Water Hole, not the Serengeti but Cheshire....:lol: If you are a Wood Pigeon never land with your back to nearby cover, even if you are thirsty...:rofl:
So my City exploration trip turned out to be a lazy time walking by the river and enjoying the last of the summer sun. Rode through thunder storms on the way home on Thursday, but at least the rain was warm! :thumbsup:
homer-simpsons-the-simpsons.gif

That particular airbus flies in and out of the airbus factory carrying completed wings (I think) to be mated with the fuselage at the factory in tolouse. It is named ā€œbelugaā€ so good guess!

Ah! Thanks 38, I wondered what sort of service it was operating, as it flew in and out a few times while I was there. The black mouth painted under the front of the fuselage is very effective and quite unmistakable. :thumbsup:

A great read as ever Sax. That looks like our old cat but I think she's past catching birds now. Cheers

Back