• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Seems like a deal..

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Stuffing my face with re-hydrated food from a packet while camping the other day, the thought struck me that I should acquire at least a second, spare super spoon.
My one and only super spoon was a gift, but when I later looked at prices for long spoons.... :eek:

Toaks spoons run at about £14, Sea to Summit £8 and most others hover around the £10 mark.. I know it's possible to cut the bag down in size but I use the empty bags for dead tea bags, food wrappers and other rubbish, so tend not to cut them down.

I was sculling about in Wilco when I spotted...4 long handled spoons, sold as a set....£1.25p. per set. Now I know they are stainless steel and each must weigh all of 2 or 3 grammes heavier than a £14 Toaks, but I'm a big boy and can lift that heavier weight..especially when it saves me £50 plus, for 4 spoons.
I think they are for tall Ice Cream Sundae eating really but I'm sure they will handle Mr Wayfarer and other's finest bagged foods, and I'm willing to be banished from real Bush Crafter's camps for not having the correct gear....:lol:

one nice thing about the titanium spoons is the lesser heat conduction. now i'm not saying that's worth £13. it is probably worth a few bob though -- at least it is for me -- and that's where fleabay can come in handy. i bought a long handled Ti spoon for a fiver and a fork for about £6. that fork is great for prodding about in the coals of my twig stove. :D only downside to the fleabay route was that they both shipped from China and one of them took about 8 weeks to make the journey.

Aye Up,

I use boil-in-bag meals a lot (home produced versions - military style Mylar bags from fresherpack at about £10 for a pack of 50) and use them the same way as saxonaxe so prefer a long handled spoon.
Some years back I invested in the primus/Optimus long handled titanium folding spoon.
For some reason I never saw them available in the U.K. so I ordered from the States at £18 a throw!!!!

It ain’t just about function - it’s about style too 😂😂

I wouldn’t banish you Saxonaxe, each to their own. And besides, you’d tire more quickly with your heavier SS spoon and I’d nip in with my Ti racing spoon before you knew it!😂

Anyway, food from a Ti spoon tastes better doesn’t it?
It‘s like drinking tea from a disposable plastic cup, beer or wine from plastic mugs/glasses instead of China and glass.

(where’s the tongue in cheek emoji?)

Stainless, titanium, aluminium, wood, iron...even bamboo......I've got a little bit of everything going on and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

" I wouldn’t banish you Saxonaxe, "

My humble thanks Effendi....
respect-062.gif

I will sit in a corner out of sight while all you exalted ones flash your Tit aniums... :lol: :lol:

I know I've mentioned then here before, Humangear duo and trio, the duo clips together to make a long handle spoon or fork and will less than the price of Ti, not as good as your bargain though Sax.

The best spoon I’ve had came with a tray of whiskers cat food; it had a sharpe knife edge on one side for slicing the food and predated sporks but about a decade. The knife edge was actually sharpe enough that if you weren’t one of the chosen people you could cut your mouth when eating off it. Unfortunately it was lost somewhere in Kenya by a friend who borrowed it!

The best spoon I’ve had came with a tray of whiskers cat food; it had a sharpe knife edge on one side for slicing the food and predated sporks but about a decade. The knife edge was actually sharpe enough that if you weren’t one of the chosen people you could cut your mouth when eating off it. Unfortunately it was lost somewhere in Kenya by a friend who borrowed it!

Never lend your racing spoon ...... :(

I sacked the plastic ‘58 mugs a long time ago first replacing with Teflon coated ali then subsequently with the Austrian stainless steel version of the Brit ‘58 pattern just for the extra bit of versatility.

Back