• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Sevylor Caravelle KK65 lightweight inflatable boat review

lee

Slightly Obsessed
I decided to replace our light weight inflatable boat, I chose a Sevylor Carevell KK65 as the new replacement.
Lightweight: 4.2kg
Packed size: 57 x 36 x 10cm. (Medium rucksack size)
Max load: 165kg
Pump, paddles, repair kit and bag included!

Price: currently on sale at decathlon for £40
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/caravelle-kk65-kit-inflatable-boat-blue-grey-id_8209292.html

The boat has 4 chambers: The main chamber has a Boston valve for fast inflating/deflating, 2 floor chambers and an inner chamber. This design is very safe and the boat is the best I have used in this class. I would expect this boat to retail around £100 minimum for the features it has.

The non Bolton valves tend to pop open if kicked or caught as the do not push in totally flush when the boat is inflated, the do push in some way and when they are pushed in they are sealed but they popped open a few times, it's not a real big issue as you can hear the fact they are open and you can just pop them back in very little air escapes before you realise and it's not the main chamber that air eascapes from. This boat would of got a 10/10 if all the valves were Boston, we're were jumping in and out the boat and loading it with lots of kit so the valves were going to get knocked about. The issue can be resolved by putting a foam mat in the floor area to cover the valves from being kicked open and it will also protect the floor ;) you could even put in a light folding MDF floor or slats.

There is a built in pressure gauge to prevent over inflation and to indicate correct inflation pressure.

The boat handles well and is easy to get up to a good few knots with 2 people paddling it (one either side like a canoe/kayak which is how we use it). We went out in very calm water with incoming and outgoing tide and also with a swell and riptides at the weekend.

I found it best if one person sits on the back tube and the other sits or kneels in the front. Sitting on the back tube also works well if your paddling alone and you have your kit placed in the front, this will balance out your weight. There's more room in this sevylor than a inflatable kyak.

We forgot our kayak/inflatable anchor but the freelander jack held the boat well whilst fishing around 1/2 km out to sea.

This boat can be modded easily, you can add a floor (foam or MDF), a wood or plastic seat across the tubes, fishing rod holders, there are mounts for the Sevylor electric motor as standard and allready attached but you could add some more mounts for a universal motor mount bracket, I would chose an an electric motor or an outboard no more than a 2hp.
I have a rod holder and extra mounts that were for another project (they are pictured below sitting on the bottom of the boat) I may add these to this boat, if I do I will updat the thread ;)

Over all I give this boat 9/10. Recommended for the price, build/design, weigh, size, safety chambers, the modability of it and it's fun factor :D great for the beach or rivers, a good inexpensive addition to your bushcraft kit! There are other sizes in the Seveylor Caravelle range this model I have and review here is the 2 man.

ALLWAYS wear life jackets, anchor, carry a realistic survival kit, Distress flares, mobile phone and if possible a Marine UHF transceiver.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Foam mat used as flooring:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Extra motor bracket mounts and fishing rod holder that can be glued/bonded on the boat anywhere you chose:
image.jpeg

That's a nice little boat Lee ,ideal for inshore mackerel fishing trips

That's the one mate ;) that's why the fishing rod holder has to go on lol

That's the one mate ;) that's why the fishing rod holder has to go on lol
You going to fish static or on the drift? If I were doing it on the drift I'd set the rod holders at about 30 degrees pointing to the rear.That way the rods can fist themselves, but remember to use an ounce less weight using that method

Sevylor do a fish hunter model with rod holders and other features.

image.jpeg

Yes joe on the drift, on anchor and under the first mates paddle power lol

The one Ive got looks like it is ;) this is the rod holder and motor mounts that I might add to the KK65 (they're pictured sitting lose on the upturned boat for illustration, their not attached to the boat)

image.jpeg

Nice little inflatable boat Lee.

A few years ago i was wondering to buy one similar to this one to lake fishing as we have many lakes here nearby but gave up as some lakes are allowed have boat and others don't.
But now i think to buy anyway and make a map of the possible lakes so i konw where to go with the boat.

A lot of lakes only allow electric boat motors now. Some do allow petrol outboard engines but they must be 4 stroke not 2 stroke engines.

The one Ive got looks like it is ;) this is the rod holder and motor mounts that I might add to the KK65 (they're pictured sitting lose on the upturned boat for illustration, their not attached to the boat)

View attachment 7409

Right time to get the motor mount for this little boat. . . .

I found this, looks better than the index version, in the past I've made the mounts but this one looks quality.

Will post up the build when it arrives ;)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is gonna Josh's first own boat set up, modded with the moter mount, a bison 62lb electric motor, seat, and canopy ;)

in a couple of years he can sell and upgrade to a 2.7 rib with a 10 horse ;)

Modding up these light weight boats is big in the states, not really took off here yet though.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back