• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Sharpening and polishing advice required.

After watching a few YouTube videos I decided to pop upto the shed and give the galok a bit of a rework on the belt sander. Pleased with the results for first attempt at sharpening like that. Also sanded the wooden handle and gave it a coat on rosewood stain.
IMG_20230101_142606.jpg
IMG_20230101_142534.jpg

After watching a few YouTube videos I decided to pop upto the shed and give the galok a bit of a rework on the belt sander. Pleased with the results for first attempt at sharpening like that. Also sanded the wooden handle and gave it a coat on rosewood stain.View attachment 116993View attachment 116994
It looks a lot better for a little love and attention.

I don't think you'll get shouted at for adding gems of wisdom. It's dragging the thread off topic and into the mire of comedy and taking the ssip out of each other that causes problems.
I have for a long time thought that very often the old ways of doing things are the best - tried and tested. The modern equivalents may be quicker and easier but often they do not do as good a job. White spirit - what a cracking idea, wish I'd thought of that.
That's ok then . I can't claim the white spirit as my own idea , it was taught to me during my apprenticeship. Also taught was cleaning stones which involved washing the build up of oil out of the stone with , well , white spirit or something similar so it seemed to make sense to lubricate with it and cut out all the cleaning. Another thing that was taught at college during apprenticeship was sharpening chisels and plane blades. We were taught to grind at one angle then hone at a steeper one. That got dismissed by the old boys too who taught us to grind and hone at the same angle . Saved on grinding .

Back