• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Shelter.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
What would you say is your favourite and most enjoyable shelter to use....do you have a particular favourite and why?....... or do you mix and match to suit the conditions and weather at the time?
Covering a base camp situation and or Hiking....Canoeing......kayaking.

Tarps......Tents......or natural materials (if possible.)

Well this took a turn very early πŸ˜‚

@Ystranc do you have the booking link for said holiday πŸ˜‚πŸ˜

Back on topic nowπŸ™„πŸ€—
Tarp and hammock for me also.....however I have been playing with the idea to build my own shelter for a few years now so I would prefer this

Tarp and hammock for me also.....however I have been playing with the idea to build my own shelter for a few years now so I would prefer this
I just wish I had the funds...I'd also have to leave the Mrs at home to look after the goats...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‡

Mix and match for me. I've still not tried the hammocking so can't comment on that but it depends on where I'm going, how far I'll be walking etc, options are always good. :)

When you say build your own shelter Mark....do you mean using natural materials......or fashioning something from nylon or canvas....whatever?

Mix and match for me. I've still not tried the hammocking so can't comment on that but it depends on where I'm going, how far I'll be walking etc, options are always good. :)

Im sure @Ark79 would let you try his Hammock out if you meet up again Bam.......generous kind of guy :whistle::eek:

On a warm dry night (when bat watching) a simple bedroll set up of cheap ground sheet, foam sleep mat, wool blanket or wool sleeping bag and small campfire. For worse weather I use sleep mat, tarp and bivvi bag. If the other half is along (car camping) we use a Vango 5 person tent that will also comfortably accommodate the dogs. I don't really own that much kit.

Last edited:
When you say build your own shelter Mark....do you mean using natural materials......or fashioning something from nylon or canvas....whatever?

Using natural materials mate....definitely something that will have to happen at some point, tho I will have a backup just in case I fail.

I would also like to make a tepee from canvas that would require me to make the structure from natural materials😊

Using natural materials mate....definitely something that will have to happen at some point, tho I will have a backup just in case I fail.

I would also like to make a tepee from canvas that would require me to make the structure from natural materials😊
When we had family here over summer the kids did something similar with a load of willow staves and Lol's old lavvu...they had great fun messing about with a Swedish torch to cook marshmallows on.

Tarp and hammock every time where possible. Otherwise I choose between canvas lavuu, one tigris bungalow or Vango Banshee 300 depending on weather and local conditions. Lately have used a small camp bed instead of a sleep mat when ground dwelling. I blame my age!

The Teepee project would be interesting Mark.....what sort of size you ideally like?

Tarp and hammock every time where possible. Otherwise I choose between canvas lavuu, one tigris bungalow or Vango Banshee 300 depending on weather and local conditions. Lately have used a small camp bed instead of a sleep mat when ground dwelling. I blame my age!

Honestly......you youngsters :rolleyes: :p:rofl:
Camp bed is a bonus mate....in more ways than one :thumbsup:

Back