• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Short overnighter in snow

Baz

Slightly Talkative
Well I was visiting my mom during the weekend so I made a 24H stroll up north from the Fiskars village to which she lives close by to.
Sky was clear and the temps was a comfortable -10ish C during the day. Walked approx 10km, prepared some chow, slept, woke up and walked back again. As basic as it can get really... but here are a couple photos anyway...

This is where it all started in the 17th century

I guess the orange color originates from the village itself

Sat down to prepare some coffee by a creek

Some old logging spot featuring tracks left by a red fox (i think). Those dead standing dried pines are the trees you wanna use for a "proper" long fire, too bad I wasn't making any on this trip :p

Quite a workout walking in knee-deep snow after leaving the road, snow shoes would've been quite handy. ;)

There's also traps hidden beneath the snow, I splashed into a knee-deep creek I didn't see. Maybe 2 meters across, and just ran through it quickly enough to not let in too much water into my boots... thank god for waterproof armings as snow-covers on the legs, miraculously the inside of my boots only got mildly damp. 🤣

Overnighter spot by a lakeside. Lots of white-tailed deer in this area judging by the tracks, the perimeters was absolutely full of them... wonder if I blocked their highway or something o_O:oopsy:

Temps dropped to a nippy -19C during the night, yet comfortably slept under a starlit sky in my Jerven bag with an extra woolen blanket.

I'll try to take more pics on the next trip, and make a fire too instead of going all guerrilla 😅

Last edited:
Spot on Baz some cracking pictures 👍

Watch your step next time though :rolleyes::D

Reactions: Baz
Looks amazing, snow brings its challenges and I'd rather avoid them but when you hear the voices to go out.... they have to be obeyed. Thanks for sharing, I've never kipped out in -19, that must be a hoofing big kip setup you have.

Looks amazing, snow brings its challenges and I'd rather avoid them but when you hear the voices to go out.... they have to be obeyed. Thanks for sharing, I've never kipped out in -19, that must be a hoofing big kip setup you have.

Them voices you talk about are strong in my ear :D am pacing the house like an animal in a cage...a need oot 🤣

Cool, man!

Did you have condensation problems in the Järven bag? And if you had them, how did you manage the problem? Did you just let suck up the moisture from the blanket?

Which sleeping bag do you use in those conditions and what do you wear and use additional in your sleeping set up?

What do you do with your boots?

In cold conditions I always get problems with the whet boots.

Them voices you talk about are strong in my ear :D am pacing the house like an animal in a cage...a need oot 🤣

You have to obey the voices, whether its going out for a wee overnight camp or just to crack open another bottle, the voices need to be obeyed. They know best.....

Saying that, I've resisted when I've had the notion to kip in the fields 5 minutes from my house, it would just be weird to be woken up by my dog walking mates, they'd just think the missus had kicked me out.

@Erbswurst Usually I take my boots off but keep all clothes on in the bag if it's freezing.
Sure there's always some condensation even in the summertime since the shell doesn't breathe but it's still plenty warm inside, it's not like your clothes get wet or anything because of it, the condensation forms inbetween the outer shell and insulation.
A blanket of some sort acts as a moisture buffer if one wants want more comfort tho 👍

Oh and the wet boots? Well, kinda have to live with it in the forest, just loosen them up a bit (tight boots don't insulate) and wear thick wool socks ontop thinner wool socks, warm when wet lol.

You have to obey the voices, whether its going out for a wee overnight camp or just to crack open another bottle, the voices need to be obeyed. They know best.....

Saying that, I've resisted when I've had the notion to kip in the fields 5 minutes from my house, it would just be weird to be woken up by my dog walking mates, they'd just think the missus had kicked me out.

Aye that would be the size of it lol.... got fields all around me and some quality place for a camp. Just nae time right now (best bloody season for it as well lol) and oh yes the voices must be obeyed but for now I must resist 🤣

Reactions: Bam
Ah, like me.

Do you take the boots with you in the Jerven bag, or what do you do with them?

Which sleeping bag do you use?

Ah, like me.

Do you take the boots with you in the Jerven bag, or what do you do with them?

Which sleeping bag do you use?
I leave the boots outside on sticks upside down, no sleeping bag.
Oh maybe I need to mention lol, I have the extreme, 170g/sqm version

Edit: Oh and maybe I should mention what kind of boots you'd want to use for snowy conditions?
Rubber boots with removable felting you can dry by a fire easily, but I'm too lazy for that and wear leather boots all year round

Last edited:
Ohh Baz......Could you not get a matching pair mate..........so not fashionable you know :p:sneaky:🤣

They look very comfortable......some are like wearing lengths of a guttering downpipe........walk about like a "wooden Top" :D

Oh I'm fashionable allright and do have a matching pair, the image was just a stock photo from a random store ;)
They're just a piece of waterproof polyester nothing more. Reflective on the inside tho and do work as a nice addon legwarmer in a sleepingbag too :p

Back