• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Should I buy a Polish Army Luvvu?

Theres a brilliant one where someone buttons......in a zip. Superb idea, except I had just covered one of mine in zips, sewn in....doh!

I like the vids where they have a wee stove in there, no room for the dug, even if I could afford one. Not that I need one to be fair but what has 'need' got to do with things when you see some 'shiny shiny'. :)

Variations on a theme...……..why have poles inside...……..? o_O :thumbsup:
lavvu stour.JPG

I like the vids where they have a wee stove in there, no room for the dug, even if I could afford one. Not that I need one to be fair but what has 'need' got to do with things when you see some 'shiny shiny'. :)

Attachments

• Polish Lavvu  A frame.jpg
    Polish Lavvu A frame.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 1,833
Good luck to them, these setups a just about big enough to lie down straight (if your under 6'), add a fire to the scenario and someone will get burnt. With a good sleeping bag you don't need a fire, certainly in UK winter temps. Using something like a Trangia 27 will let you cook safely in one and provide a safe source of heat but using any kind of woodburner in one suggests to me that the 'cheese is slipping off your cracker' as the Americans say.

Never had the pleasure of using one......but they do seem to have quite a following.

Nice set up Lol 👍

I tend to agree with Harry......a fire is a bit of a stretch in a shelter of that size......a good sleeping bag would be my choice too.
But......each to their own on that one.....you takes your chances and make your choices.

Having said that......a small and contained fire in a Firebox or the likes under the admin area would be fine :thumbsup:

For a cheap and absolutely bombproof bit of kit, I can't sing their praises enough :D
(as some may have noticed!!:rofl:)

I don't have a w/burner or have the need for one, but...……..

For a cheap and absolutely bombproof bit of kit, I can't sing their praises enough :D
(as some may have noticed!!:rofl:)

I don't have a w/burner or have the need for one, but...……..

I don't have the need for one either and if I did get one I'd be tempted to fit it in the (future) shed up the allotment rather than a lavvu, I'd be sweating like a booty in a spelling test to be honest but I like the idea of them.

• Haha
Reactions: lol
The basic Lavvu design is great, sheds winds, very stable, but these poncho tents are just too small. I'm 6' and found them small when we tried them (and sold them on). I like to buy a shelter that has had all the work done, just take it out the bag and pitch not button together and get out the sowing machine. These are as good as the Ventile poncho idea from a few years back. ;) If you like them fill your boots, I'll stick with real tents :)

As a rite of passage...one should have had:-
A polish Lavvu
A Good Companions/ Vango Force 10 as an acceptable alternative...….

Cat, into pigeons, placed! :cool: :ninja: :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Bam
I also have my doubts about retro fitting wood fired stoves into tents due to carbon monoxide, charcoal in a fire box is even more dangerous as it continues giving off carbon monoxide even after its gone out and is cold. I've heard of accidents due to people bringing a cold stove or BBQ into the tent overnight after using it. Also the lavvu my be reasonably flame retardant but what about the rest of your kit? Camping gear is notorious for going up in flames.

If its any consolation my tent will be remaining very vanilla until I learn how to sow!
I do like the idea of zippers and a 12 inch skirt round the bottom (I bought an extra medium half for this, but these will be way down the line an not in time for the summer meet I'm afraid.

Reactions: Bam
Well said but add Bukta Kestrel.
The Bukta label yes...but sorry, the Kestrel as a specific model is banned!

🤣
(my rules, nah, nah, nah!)
I originally started this thread off in October last year, finally I have a Lavvu to call my own!!!!!!

Yahay!!!
Personally.....here we go..... I reckon leave off the skirts and rig an external A frame......more space and a lot simpler?
If sewing is a problem, and I wish I'd seen this video sooner.....the one where a zip is buttoned in? Just so clever......
(ooh and its rigged inside out in you photo? But looks lovely!! 👍 )

If its any consolation my tent will be remaining very vanilla until I learn how to sow!
I do like the idea of zippers and a 12 inch skirt round the bottom (I bought an extra medium half for this, but these will be way down the line an not in time for the summer meet I'm afraid.

I've used mine a handful of times, partially just for the sake of it, I bought it to have a canvas tent I could have a fire next to, I tend to roll with a DD 3x3 tarp, its more versatile. I keep mine 'buttoned up' on one side and about 2/3rds buttoned up on the other and I've fabsil-ed the crap out of it although I'd used it a couple times before that in rain and it was fine. Its a nice simple but bulky shelter. I'm 6' (when I stand up straight) and if you peg it out slightly longwise its no problem, just enjoy it mate, its a fun shelter. If you get round to pimping it, I'll be looking forward to your posts. A zip would make things a lot easier and I've politely asked the missus to rig one but was less than politely told that she wasn't amenable to the suggestion. :(

Back