• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Show Us Your Catch

Rathwulven BC

Extremely Talkative
Hi folks,

I thought it would be nice to start a thread we do have over at our German Bushcraft Freunde forum - simply spoken this is all just about showing your catches, featuring the most important info on the respective catch. I put this in this category as I guess it fits best.

To start off:

Fish: perch
Size: a little less than 40cm
Water: A (name of Canal)
Bait: silver pulse worm, 7 cm
Montage: 5g jig head on braided line, with fluocarbon underline

IMG-20190103-142557604.jpg

IMG-20190103-142534209.jpg

IMG-20190103-142520735.jpg

There is a story to that fish I also want to share: A perch that big is rather uncommon in our waters, given its size and habitat it must have survived hundreds of his kind throughout the last years, and the city waters are also incredibly overfished. I did encounter that fish in March 2018 for the first time and almost landed him at the very same spot, yet it managed to get off the hook just some cm before my net. Since then, I have checked out the spot every month or two, and encountered that big boy every single time. Funnily enough it chased down the bait at a very slow pace, a very untypical behaviour for a perch. The marking is rather distinct, due to the poor water quality its colours are very light and it has a distinct scar as well as dorsal fin which made it easy to identify the fish.
So a couple of days ago, I had it bite again. And jump off the hook yet again. I decided to spend some two more hours at the spot, trying to locate the fish again. And managed to do so some five minutes prior to giving up. The drill was very weak, yet critical as the hook was not set properly. Right at the moment I got my net underneath the perch, it unhooked yet again.

Set the fish back in respect, just an amazing feeling to succeed after almost a month of persistence.

Let me know about your catches. :)

Lovely fish Rath..........your persistence and patience paid off in the end and you won the battle.
Nice to hear you put it back......you may meet him again one day :Dđź‘Ť

Mahi Mahi ( Dolphin Fish )
Riviera Maya Mexico
Caught using a trolled lure
First time big game fishing , not the biggest fish but a fantastic fishing experience

Back