• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Simple Snake Spoon (carving, whittling and coal burning)

Rathwulven BC

Extremely Talkative
Hi guys,

I just wanted to share another project with you from lately:

Screen_Shot_2018_05_21_at_16_22_02.png

Screen_Shot_2018_05_21_at_16_22_12.png

This is a pretty simple one everyone can do with a bit of practise: The raw shape has been cut out with my modified Trailhawk (I use it as a wedge, chisel, etc.), the edges been treated with a standard Mora Companion HD and the fine work done with the Mora Carving Knife 120. In case you wonder about the dark look of the spoon: It has been shaped by means of pyrolysis (that is: coal burning). I tried to first smoothen the material with stones only but figured that due to the ornamental carvings the 180 grid does a better job (with stones I broke single scales out of the snake pattern...).

The material used is beech, finished with a bit of linseed oil. C'est ca.

Screen_Shot_2018_05_21_at_16_21_35.png

Screen_Shot_2018_05_21_at_16_21_51.png

Screen_Shot_2018_05_21_at_16_21_21.png

If you like such photos and use Instagram please feel free to also pass by my profile (that is @rathwulvenbushcraft). Thanks :)

Hi guys,

I just wanted to share another project with you from lately:

Screen_Shot_2018_05_21_at_16_22_02.png

Screen_Shot_2018_05_21_at_16_22_12.png

This is a pretty simple one everyone can do with a bit of practise: The raw shape has been cut out with my modified Trailhawk (I use it as a wedge, chisel, etc.), the edges been treated with a standard Mora Companion HD and the fine work done with the Mora Carving Knife 120. In case you wonder about the dark look of the spoon: It has been shaped by means of pyrolysis (that is: coal burning). I tried to first smoothen the material with stones only but figured that due to the ornamental carvings the 180 grid does a better job (with stones I broke single scales out of the snake pattern...).

The material used is beech, finished with a bit of linseed oil. C'est ca.

Screen_Shot_2018_05_21_at_16_21_35.png

Screen_Shot_2018_05_21_at_16_21_51.png

Screen_Shot_2018_05_21_at_16_21_21.png

If you like such photos and use Instagram please feel free to also pass by my profile (that is @rathwulvenbushcraft). Thanks :)
A great job mate, having carved a ladle out of beech I know how hard it is

Like that :thumbsup: wouldn’t call it simple though lol your to modest @Rathwulven BC.

Made a couple of spoons. Nothing as nice as this one.

Hi guys
thanks for all the replies so far.

Actually I am very happy for that feedback, because in the end that was just 2 days worth of working with a simple Mora - and I just thought to myself "Mmmhyeah, that one is alright".

Beech indeed is one hell of a wood. It's like that saying "Buy cheap, buy twice" - use soft wood, carve twice. @Joecole

@1 shot willie
Really? Now I am getting curious, maybe that might be my long gone, lost brother. :p

"Really? Now I am getting curious, maybe that might be my long gone, lost brother. :p "

I would leave him lost if I were you Rath:whistle::whistle::D

Back