• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Keith

Very Addicted
This is a basic skills list that we have for our group members to learn & practice. It is historical, & it is for a long term wilderness living/survival situation.

Woodsrunner’s Skills.

New England Colonial Living History Group 1680-1760.

This is a list of basic skills in which we expect an 18th century woodsman or woods-woman to have some experience with in our group. There is no time limit set, learn in your own time & if we can help just ask.
Keith.

· Flint & steel fire lighting

· Wet weather fire lighting

· Fire-bow fire lighting

· Flintlock fire lighting

· Flintlock use, service & repair

· Marksmanship with either gun or bow.

· Field dressing & butchering game

· Blade sharpening

· Tomahawk throwing

· Making rawhide

· Brain tanning

· Primitive shelter construction

· How to stay warm in winter with only one blanket

· Cordage manufacture

· Moccasin construction and repair

· Sewing

· Axe and tomahawk helve making

· Fishing

· Hunting

· Evasion

· Tracking

· Reading sign

· Woods lore

· Navigation

· Primitive trap construction & trapping

· Open fire cooking

· Fireplace construction

· Clothing manufacture

· Drying meat & other foods

· Knowledge of plant tinders & preparation

· Knowledge of native foods & preparation

· Knowledge of native plants in the area and their uses for other than tinder and food.

· Scouting/Ranging.

· Basic first aid.

· Finding and treating water.

· General leather work.

that's a pretty comprehensive list Keith
Morning mate, looking at this list and also at what you carry when you go out I think it is pretty dependent on where you plan to go and what you intend to do when you reach your given location. Most of us older generation bushcrafters and ex military men have most of the skills you have listed and what we carry depends on what we plan to do

Morning mate, looking at this list and also at what you carry when you go out I think it is pretty dependent on where you plan to go and what you intend to do when you reach your given location. Most of us older generation bushcrafters and ex military men have most of the skills you have listed and what we carry depends on what we plan to do
Older generation!:) I like that Joe, makes me feel young:) Well this list was made up with long term wilderness living in mind (skills & equipment). That is going into the wilderness & setting up a camp & living there or travelling around long term. Bearing in mind that in this sort of situation there would be no supplies of any kind available other than what you can provide yourself. With the equipment list this is mostly for comfort, ease of living. I could go into the bush without any equipment at all, but this is hard work & void of many comforts especially in the early days when you are busy making shelter, making tools & making fire, making traps, trapping etc. What I carry is pretty basic anyway by modern standards, but for me it is luxury.
Keith.

Older generation!:) I like that Joe, makes me feel young:) Well this list was made up with long term wilderness living in mind (skills & equipment). That is going into the wilderness & setting up a camp & living there or travelling around long term. Bearing in mind that in this sort of situation there would be no supplies of any kind available other than what you can provide yourself. With the equipment list this is mostly for comfort, ease of living. I could go into the bush without any equipment at all, but this is hard work & void of many comforts especially in the early days when you are busy making shelter, making tools & making fire, making traps, trapping etc. What I carry is pretty basic anyway by modern standards, but for me it is luxury.
Keith.
I have to agree about the comfort side Keith, my bottle of scotch always goes with me

I have to agree about the comfort side Keith, my bottle of scotch always goes with me
smiley_face_clip_art_thumbs_up_152.jpg

Keith.

Hi there
Thats a great list of skills i have a few but not as many as ide like. What is thr list for? Feel I've missed the point on this. Cheers

Hi there
Thats a great list of skills i have a few but not as many as ide like. What is thr list for? Feel I've missed the point on this. Cheers
Its designed around living long term in the woods Matt

Hi there

Like it says at the top "This is a basic skills list that we have for our group members to learn & practice. It is historical, & it is for a long term wilderness living/survival situation". I did post it under survival skills. Did I post on the wrong forum?
Keith.

No it's not survival it's basic bushcraft and outdoor skills and kit ;)

That’s a fair list and all very important to survive. The clothing manufacturing! Now that’s a skill I wouldn’t mind having...

This is a basic skills list that we have for our group members to learn & practice. It is historical, & it is for a long term wilderness living/survival situation.

Woodsrunner’s Skills.

This is a list of basic skills in which we expect an 18th century woodsman or woods-woman to have some experience with in our group. There is no time limit set, learn in your own time & if we can help just ask.
Keith.

· Fire-bow fire lighting

· Blade sharpening

· Tomahawk throwing

· Making rawhide

· Brain tanning

· Cordage manufacture

· Sewing

· Fishing

· Hunting

· Evasion

· Tracking

· Reading sign

· Woods lore

· Navigation

· Open fire cooking

· Fireplace construction

· Clothing manufacture

· Knowledge of native plants in the area and their uses for other than tinder and food.

· Scouting/Ranging.

· Basic first aid.

· General leather work.

Think I have them covered except for a few strange one's that wouldn't be really applicable in this country

Woodsrunner’s Skills.

Keith.

· Fire-bow fire lighting

· Blade sharpening

· Tomahawk throwing

· Making rawhide

· Brain tanning

· Cordage manufacture

· Sewing

· Fishing

· Hunting

· Evasion

· Tracking

· Reading sign

· Woods lore

· Navigation

· Open fire cooking

· Fireplace construction

· Clothing manufacture

· Scouting/Ranging.

· Basic first aid.

· General leather work.
Here in Canada, specially during a winter ftx in -20 snow storm in the maritimes, the most important knowledge I could have used was how to keep your hands and feet warm. I had two layers of wool socks inside my boots and double layered gloves and my hands still got some nasty frost up before the medic called it for the ftx. This was back in my cadet days but DANG maritime cold goes straight through clothes

Back