• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Sleeping bag - discounted

In the summer for short trips down bags are a light and compact option.
Should it become whet you will survive it in that conditions.

But for whet weather around zero degrees I wouldn't buy a down bag.

A down winter sleeping bag is nice to have for trips where you have -5*C and less for sure. That means DRY COLD CONDITIONS.

Nothing for fishermen in my opinion.
And nothing for Indians who live in a rain forest.

;0)

That's mountain equipment.

I recommend for the same price the olive green Snugpack Special Forces 2 for british weather. With Snugpack SF bivvy bag.

That's nice around 0C and recommended for -7C. Together with the SF1 and the adapter you reach -15*C comfort temperature.
That's a sensible solution which fits in the needed situations!

:)
In the summer for short trips down bags are a light and compact option.
Should it become whet you will survive it in that conditions.

But for whet weather around zero degrees I wouldn't buy a down bag.

A down winter sleeping bag is nice to have for trips where you have -5*C and less for sure. That means DRY COLD CONDITIONS.

Nothing for fishermen in my opinion.
And nothing for Indians who live in a rain forest.

;0)

That's mountain equipment.

I recommend for the same price the olive green Snugpack Special Forces 2 for british weather. With Snugpack SF bivvy bag.

That's nice around 0C and recommended for -7C. Together with the SF1 and the adapter you reach -15*C comfort temperature.
That's a sensible solution which fits in the needed situations!

Do you receive commission from Snugpack ? :);):lol:

Unfortunately they don't pay me.

But I own currently may be 15 different sleeping bags and owned around 20 others before.

(I had some domesticated rats while I lived in a not so good insulated garden house with wood stove for an extended time, and they loved to sleep next to my feet in the sleeping bags. Sometimes they destroyed the zippers. So I had to buy a new one from time to time and tested them well even in winter times in Berlin, where -25*C can happen during the night.)

As a scout leader I have seen hundreds of different sleeping bags in use and friends of mine traded with modern high end market stuff as well as with cheaper stuff and military equipment too.

The best sleeping bags for use in tents are the sleeping bags from Ajungilak/Mammuth and Snugpack in my opinion.

For use with bivvy bag in whet conditions currently the Snugpack Special Forces System is simply the best I know, and I think, I am very well informed about the quality market.

The down bags from Yeti are nice for the summer in dry conditions or with tent and together with the Snugpack Special Forces Sleeping bag I would like to try the lightest Robens Couloir central zipper sleeping bags especially for summer use in France.

A cheap down solution is offered by Decathlon for the summer.

And that it is - for bushcraft in Europe - in my opinion.

Not every thing which is available on the market must been bought and tried out.
Some producers know how things have to be done properly. Other have the right to try to sell their stuff too. But I am not forced to buy or recommend it.

Last edited:
Indeed!

And it's always the same with sleeping bags with a side zipper:
If you change the side you sleep on during the night, your shoulder becomes free and cold. Or you sleep on the sledge of the zipper or what ever. Side zippers are bullshit in my opinion.

Central zippers in sleeping bag and bivvy bag is the best solution. Always and everywhere, and especially if we sleep without tent in the open.

This Robens Couloir sleeping bag should prolonge the Snugpack SF System, I guess.

SF Complete System: 3200g, -15*C t comfort
SF 2 : 1800g, -7*C t comfort
SF1 : 1200g, 5*C t comfort
(In my opinion 4*C and lighter weight, mine weights 1000g without compression bag)
Robens Couloir: 650g, 8*C t comfort

(looks beige in the picture, nice for dry vegetation in southern europe. If it's whet and cold - inside the green bivvy, if it's dry - on the bivvy in the beige sack.)

That 650 g sleeping bag with the 340g SF bivvy bag weights together less than a kilogram! That's really light!

Don't know if that works fine, but Paul Kirtley recommends an other down bag with that bivvy in a video about lightweight equipment, so I believe him, that that works too.

I think the Robens would fit additional in the SF1 or in the SF2. Should that work, it would be a nice option for the next arctic expedition. With that three bags -25*C or less should be no problem.

(Somewhere I have seen very cheap white german army bivvy bags, perfect or Ice bear hunters!)

Last edited:
I bought a cheap Aldi down bag a year or two back, only 2 season but folds down to the size of nothing. Its been my 'go to' bag for a while now, if its cold I'll wear a softie suit and over socks. Been out in about zero in it and its been fine. Used on an inflatable mat and a reflective (car windscreen) sheet. I've got bigger and more expensive bags but the compact size can be a big advantage. We all have our own systems and budgets.

That bag does look smart though and the odd time I need a 'serious' bag I've got a minus gazillion one I bought for the missus but she grudges me borrowing it.

A cheap sleeping bag mustn't be bad.
Usually they do not live as long as the expensive ones.
It's a good solution to buy a very cheap one in the beginning. It will survive round about 300 nights outside. That's time enough to save enough of money for the perfect (second) sleeping bag.

The expensive ones are a bit more comfortable and will live far longer, if you tread them well, that's all.

But even with a woolen blanket from grandma it's possible to have fun in the bush, especially if you sleep next to the fire.

A real bushcrafter may use every thing down to 4C without any problems. I slept in a heap of leaves wrapped a simple woolen blanket under a rock at around 0C and it was really warm and nice. A bit whet perhaps and sweaty, but in the morning at the fire you can dry out.
High end equipment isn't necessary.

But if you buy expensive stuff, you should buy the right one, that's all.

Anyone thinking of buying a sleeping bag needs to consider and concentrate on their own personal Health.......Build........fitness........ age statistics.
Generally........a larger person will sleep warmer than a lighter one.........a fitter persons body will have a more efficient boiler.........a younger person will more than likely sleep warmer than an older person.
Also, take into account any medical issues you may have and the medications you may have to take......especially blood-thinning varieties as they will make a difference.

Down or Synthetic................if either gets wet you will have problems so good shelter/cover is important........why struggle.........a fine starlit night can change into a wet and windy situation very quickly and without warning.

Consider the time you intend to be out mostly.........a day......or seven days at a time.........eat well and stay hydrated.

Any sleeping bag is only as good as the matt you have under it because your body weight and movement will compress the insulation beneath you rendering it next to useless this applies to a £25 bag or a £500 bag..........a good mat is worth the investment.

Be very aware when buying ex-military or second-hand bags..........synthetic or down.

Consider also the shape and size/fit of the bag.........they vary in length....width........and build.

If you can............ go to a reputable dealer to buy your bag and get some advised help and shop around........your sleeping bag is an important part of your kit and could be the making or breaking of any time outdoors.

As with anything.....limit your activities to the performance of your kit and conditions........... also your experience as a whole in the outdoors.

Big difference between survivalism and camping/wild camping where tips and tricks will vary.

Choose and buy wisely........stay warm and safe.

Back