• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

sleeping bags (no not your miss,s )

The Snugpack Special Forces System in my opinion is the best on the market for Bushcraft.

SF1, SF2, Adapter to zipp them together, SF bivvy bag.

The system is better constructed than the Carinthia system Tropen, Defence 4, bivvy bag.

(The Carinthia bivvy bag is better but heavier. Who wants to, can add it to the Snugpack system. I prefere the light SF bivvy, it works very well, I can't see any differences in moisture transportation to the british MOD Gore tex bivvy.)

The SF2 has instead of the Defence 4 the thermal Collar. It is used in the SF1, not like the Carinthia Tropen in the Defence 4. So the SF2 is tighter to the body, what is better in cold conditions.

The Snugpack system is far better constructed!

Here you can see the SF1 (1030g) in the SF bivvy bag (340g) in the dry sack M 8 litres (60g)View attachment 13509

Last edited:
Depends, old Czech army blanket bag or British Army Arctic 90 bag..........

If you could only have one bag to rely on in a SHTF scenario which one would it be & why ?

This is not an easy question to answer in my opinion & may be better suited to being asked in the Prepper Section.

Your rucksack needs to contain so many things in order to cover your basic needs & space/weight is a huge consideration in case you end up having to yomp instead of driving !

What say you ! :)

I haven't got any one particular bag, I have bags for all seasons and temperatures, that then dictates what I take, that isn't much help or info, a bit vague sorry :)

The Snugpack Special Forces System in my opinion is the best on the market for Bushcraft.

I have this system too. When it arrived I thought it was the dog's danglies - but then I went out in sub-zero temperatures and froze my own danglies off. It's also too big and too heavy. These days I stick to down sleeping bags, they pack down very small, are lightweight and are much warmer (if you pay for a good one) than synthetic bags - IMHO.

What?
It is rated till minus 15*C.
With underwear and other tricks till minus 20*C.

It is a Nato tested sleeping bag system with Nato Stock Number.

In which conditions did you use it?

What?
It is rated till minus 15*C.
With underwear and other tricks till minus 20*C.

It is a Nato tested sleeping bag system with Nato Stock Number.

In which conditions did you use it?

About minus 7*C, maybe lower, with a bivvy bag outside it and a thermal mat under me. I was wearing clothes, it was some time ago but if memory serves me right it would have been a full base layer and thick socks. I treat the stated ratings on sleeping bags as mostly wishful thinking. Of all the kit I own I consider this to have been the biggest waste of money so far. Offers considered. :)

The temperature feeling is very individual.
I use for example the SF1 in its bivvy on the thin foldable german army mat until 0*C .

Without tent, of course.

But I am used to cold temperatures.

If you could only have one bag to rely on in a SHTF scenario which one would it be & why ?

This is not an easy question to answer in my opinion & may be better suited to being asked in the Prepper Section.

Your rucksack needs to contain so many things in order to cover your basic needs & space/weight is a huge consideration in case you end up having to yomp instead of driving !

What say you ! :)

The old army sleeping bag I had. Believe it was an Arctic bag. Used mine pike fishing down to -6 and slept comfy with just my base layers on.

British Army surplus Arctic sleeping bag - LARGE - Free shipping/ Winter | eBay

" If you could only have one bag to rely on in a SHTF scenario which one would it be & why ? "

I know there are better sleeping bags on the market, but I can only choose from those I have used, and for me it would be the old model British Army Arctic bag. Heavy at 2.5 kilos?? or there about, but I've never been cold in it, even climbing in with wet kit on (no option) it's kept me warm. And as my mate used to say, if we run out of ammo we can soak the bag and drop it on the opposition, that should pin them down for a while.....:rofl:

Ah...I'm ok then, after all when they drop the bomb???? :oopsy:

Back