• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Sleeping Bags

Gazo

Slightly Obsessed
I am after a new sleeping bag ready for a few of the bushy meets.
I don't like the mummy type bags as I like to move around alot when sleeping and feel trapped if I have something tight around me.
So was looking at these eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Just wondered if anyone has tried them, and would they be ok for what I want, or do you know of another bag that would suit my needs.
Not to expensive as my mother is going to buy it as a birthday present for me in April.

That looks a decent bag for the price. Not so keen on the fleece lined bit though. I sleep hot and find anything involving fleece to be a sweat box for me. Thats just a personal thing though, i sleep in my underwear with the bag half open in the arctic though, thats how hot i sleep lol.

i would look around for a 4 season bag mate ...as the 2/3 season realy meens its a 2 season bag and you may find it a tad cold
Grabbest: Sporting Goods: TF Gear X-Tuff 4/5 Season Heavy Duty Sleeping Bag this is the kind of thing you need mate id give your mum some money towards it couse you only want to buy it once ....matt

One was mine when i was in, the other two were given to my mum, who is C/O of an air cadet sqn. She passed them on to me. Both are the short version though, so a bit small for me, but i lend them to mates for the odd night out here and there.

why doya need 3?

I'm gonna need a sleeping bag myself soon, I was wondering what might be on the market cheap.

Are any of the foreign army ones still doing the rounds, like the German one (used to look like a parka) or I have heard the Czech ones are good?

i got the czech one.... in winter find a tescos and buy a 13.5 tog duvet to help you out!!! :D

My advice Gazo would be to get one of these. Its a bag for life and you will never be cold in one.
Army Sleeping Bag, 58 pattern sleeping bag,

Rubberised base, down filled, roomy, warm as hell. Bit bulky, bit heavy, but bloody brilliant, totally bombproof. Can't go wrong. I have 3 :)

I have one of these and I couldn't agree more , I use mine when I'm under the basha and it always keeps me warm

i got the czech one.... in winter find a tescos and buy a 13.5 tog duvet to help you out!!! :D

OK, so they are best avoided then?

What I don't want to have to do is spend hundreds of pounds on one but I do want it to be OK for the winter. I can always carry a lightweight blanket with me or even a space blanket but I do want a decent sleeping bag and I don't mind getting a second hand/surplus one.

OK, so they are best avoided then?

i wouldnt say that ian as there was three of us on site with the czech army bags and we were toasty warm........

the main problem shady had was he didnt listen to advise he was give my myself and steve ref.. his bag preperations (eg lineing the bag for winter use with a single size quilt (13,5 tog) ...if you plan to use the bag for summer/spring it will be fine as it comes...but if you plan to use it in the winter you will need to add a layer in side ...matt

i wouldnt say that ian as there was three of us on site with the czech army bags and we were toasty warm........

the main problem shady had was he didnt listen to advise he was give my myself and steve ref.. his bag preperations (eg lineing the bag for winter use with a single size quilt (13,5 tog) ...if you plan to use the bag for summer/spring it will be fine as it comes...but if you plan to use it in the winter you will need to add a layer in side ...matt

So just adapt it to the conditions then, sounds like my sort of thing. When I was a kid we used to use sleeping bag liners but I'm not sure how effective they were.

So, I'm looking out for either a Czech army bag or a 58 pattern British army bag? I'll keep my eyes peeled;)

Cheers mate. I'm having a think about it. The wife didn't sound too impressed when I said I would need a duvet as well but even with the price of a duvet on top it still works out cheap for a bag you can use in winter.

Not meaning to get personal here but did you guys all end up sleeping fully clothed or did you find it warm enough to take a few layers off? (I don't need any pictures or gory details please Stephen;))

Also, is a single duvet enough to wrap around yourself or did you just have it on top?

i wore just my thermal long johns and top mate ;).... if you look at the picky of the bag you will see the layers actually un button from it so what i did was remove the layers already in the bag and then lay ed a single quilt on the open bag and then re buttoned the original layers back in and when you zip the bag up you have quilt all around you .....it worked great for me , Steve and drcodd

Cheers for that Matt. I think that is the way to go.

I'm sure it will get plenty of use as I plan on taking my little boys camping this year. (proper camping, not glamping it up in my massive trailer tent:rolleyes:)
They're a bit young for roughing it in a basha just yet though.

i put a 100gsm sleeping bag inside and froze to death, so tesco came to the rescue..... in future i am going to use the bags with quilts and sleeping bags, just to stay nice and toasty..... and i am never using a tent again, those things are horrible for condensation so i am going to order my basha in the next few weeks ;)

I need a sleeping bag I can move in them army ones sounds good but not sure it will give me the room I need as I am not a small guy :)

Back