• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Sleeping Bags

if your a short ass like me the bag is like a tent in its self,,i had my nothing at all on and a top but soon during the night i was just in my pants as i was wseating in side and was minus 10 out side, so with a duvet inside its like home from home..

13.5tog single duvet is £8.99 in Argos. Can't say much fairer than that;)

I need a sleeping bag I can move in them army ones sounds good but not sure it will give me the room I need as I am not a small guy :)
There are 2 sizes. I'm 6'3 and 17 stone and theres plenty room for me. Bear in mind they are designed to be used by squaddies who sleep in them in full kit. They are plenty big enough. Just get the long version.

remember that when buying your sleep bag that it must be able to be carried around cos sometimes you will be sleeping in woods......away from cars etc and may have to walk into camp etc, so a sleeping bag, and quilt etc may not be that practical!!!!!!!

I would always suggest an ex army sleeping bag, cheap enough off the bay, and then a bivi bag again cheap enough off the bay!!!

Seems we have two conflicting opinions now. That's just confusing:rolleyes:

The lads that "CAMP" take a quilt etc, the rest of us that "bushcraft" use a sleeping bag and bivi bag!!!!!

If you are just gonna be camping in a tent and have your car next to you etc then a quilt and full matrees etc is what you need, if you are doing bushcraft then a bag and bivi bag is what you need!!!!!;)

The lads that "CAMP" take a quilt etc, the rest of us that "bushcraft" use a sleeping bag and bivi bag!!!!!

If you are just gonna be camping in a tent and have your car next to you etc then a quilt and full matrees etc is what you need, if you are doing bushcraft then a bag and bivi bag is what you need!!!!!;)

I plan on doing both but when in a tent with car I just use a double duvet as I'm not a huge fan of bags but I do need a bag for my occasional bushcraft outings I have planned this year. I also plan to be along for next February's meet and I do not plan on spending huge amounts of money on kit. So what would you suggest Mr Walkies? (Your opinion is extremely valid to me).

ex army arctic dossbag, ex army bivvi bag, if your camping and it gets too warm you can undo... but if your bushying and it gets too cold, you cant make a 3 season bag into a winter bag....

a bivvi bag will also stop condensation getting on your dossbag in a tent, and will keep you dry outside in a downpour.

I don't have a car at the moment, so I carry all my gear on my back as I'm walking.

I am looking for a new bag as the one I have got, whilst very warm, is big and heavy when packed and uncomfortably tight around the shoulders when I'm in it (so I usually just unzip it and tuck it around me like blanket).

As I mentioned above, this 3 piece Czech army bed roll looks like it might be suited to my needs, perhaps not geared to brass monkey weather, but then I'm not likely to be camping in brass monkey weather, as I'm just after something that will keep the chill out in spring through autumn, which from the posts above, appears to be the case.

And it is cheap as chips, which is always good.

The only questions I have are:

1 As I'll be carrying it, what is the packed size a weight
2 As I'm a short arse with a stocky build, will it be a comfortable fit around the shoulders

If any of you who are familiar with this bed roll, could answer those questions, I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

Colin

I don't have a car at the moment, so I carry all my gear on my back as I'm walking.

I am looking for a new bag as the one I have got, whilst very warm, is big and heavy when packed and uncomfortably tight around the shoulders when I'm in it (so I usually just unzip it and tuck it around me like blanket).

As I mentioned above, this 3 piece Czech army bed roll looks like it might be suited to my needs, perhaps not geared to brass monkey weather, but then I'm not likely to be camping in brass monkey weather, as I'm just after something that will keep the chill out in spring through autumn, which from the posts above, appears to be the case.

And it is cheap as chips, which is always good.

The only questions I have are:

1 As I'll be carrying it, what is the packed size a weight
2 As I'm a short arse with a stocky build, will it be a comfortable fit around the shoulders

If any of you who are familiar with this bed roll, could answer those questions, I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

Colin
[FONT=&quot]
Approx measurements are :Laid flat - 210cm x 80cm Folded down - 40cm x35cm x 30cm
[/FONT]

I'm keeping an eye out at the moment for British army 90 pattern Arctic sleeping bags. Seen the odd bargain but obviously not as cheap as the Czech one. I'm also looking out for the 58 pattern as well.

How big and heavy does the Czech sleeping bag get with a single duvet in it?

ll im 5ft6 and if i can carry in on my back with x2 double duvets inside it cant be all to heavy

I'm keeping an eye out at the moment for British army 90 pattern Arctic sleeping bags. Seen the odd bargain but obviously not as cheap as the Czech one. I'm also looking out for the 58 pattern as well.

How big and heavy does the Czech sleeping bag get with a single duvet in it?

my advise to you Ian is try and get an ex army bag first as i think that would suit your needs better .....but and heres the but personally i prefer the Czech army bag my self as it can be tailored to my specific needs ....

[FONT=&amp]
Approx measurements are :Laid flat - 210cm x 80cm Folded down - 40cm x35cm x 30cm
[/FONT]
Cheers fella, that is grand :)

It sounds big enough when laid flat, about the same size as the bag I've got, rolled up and you reckon it is pretty light weight.

But it is only a tenner.

Hmm, decisions, decisions.

money well spent for £10 mate and i can say the bag is light if not lighter then most other good bags, but alot more heavy then your tesco value ones

money well spent for £10 mate and i can say the bag is light if not lighter then most other good bags, but alot more heavy then your tesco value ones

It is a bargain at a tenner and a recommendation goes a long way when buying something online.

So I've ordered one.

Thanks for the heads up and the info.

Colin

It arrived yesterday and it is in mint condition.

I was so excited about this trying this bedroll, I had a cheeky overnighter in the garden, in my tent (yes I am a pussy) and I have to say, I had the most comfortable outdoor kip in a good long while. Bit of a chilly night and the wind didn't make it any warmer, but I was nice and toasty in this bed roll. Didn't need the extra blanket or sleeping bag liner I had on hand (or the emergency duvet, I had on standby in the house), just popped a self inflating sleeping mat between the outer and inner layers, tucked myself in, revelled in being able to move my feet about and wiggle my shoulders, then swiftly dropped off and spent a pleasant evening in the Land of Nod.

Thanks for sharing the link Matt and providing additional info Stephen, this is the best buy I've made in a long while.

Back