• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Sleeping thermals

Ark79

Site Manager
Am looking for cold weather thermal suit or tow piece. I really hate sleeping with oodles of clothes on but I want to stay warm, preferably without my everyday wear on. So a happy medium would be great.......just search over the tinternet with no luck.... anyone have any ideas....all are welcome......in other words.....help!! :rofl:

Am looking for cold weather thermal suit or tow piece. I really hate sleeping with oodles of clothes on but I want to stay warm, preferably without my everyday wear on. So a happy medium would be great.......just search over the tinternet with no luck.... anyone have any ideas....all are welcome......in other words.....help!! :rofl:

when im out in colder climes i just use a normal set of thermals as bed wear .....BUT with the sleeping bag you have (same as mine) you will prob get two hot with thermals on :thumbsup: and end up stripping of during the night .. ps i always have a pair of 2.5 tog sock,s i slip on when getting in the bag after ive warmed up i take them off ...

2.3 Tog Mens Heat Holder Socks Ultimate Thermal Socks 6-11 uk, 39-45 Black: Amazon.co.uk: Clothing

more costly kit out there but these will do the job

Last edited:
I've always used bog standard Marks and Spencers thermals for sleeping. They don't have to be too 'technical,' they can be chucked in the washing machine and....they were cheap in a sale..£30 odd for a set top and bottoms. As I only use them in the sleeping bag they've lasted ages, 4 years plus I'd guess.

I'm another one who's keen on oversocks. I use woolly ones I got issued with a million years ago an never used. I also use fairly cheap thermals when I think I'll need them which isn't often. A shemagh or similar can be handy to cover any bits of face that are peeking out too.

As others have said set of simple thermals or running leggings work well. I’ve also got a set of marks and Spencer’s micro fleece pijama Bottoms that someone sent me in Kosovo (minus 20-30) which are brilliant as tent/bothy trousers.

As others have said set of simple thermals or running leggings work well. I’ve also got a set of marks and Spencer’s micro fleece pijama Bottoms that someone sent me in Kosovo (minus 20-30) which are brilliant as tent/bothy trousers.

Good point on the running breeks, I take Ronhills with me as spare clothes, they ball down small and dry quick.

Depends on the temps, UK with your bag, boxers and T with socks, keep the thermals in the bag in case you get cold and they're at hand and warm, colder climbs, merino wool or softie top and bottoms imho.

Everyone sleeps differently, I find my legs overheat and like my shoulders to be warm; also putting something on in a sleeping bag can be a Houdini like task, it may be easier for you could go to bed in pjs and then slide them off as you warm up especially as the lining of sleeping bags can feel artificially cold on bare skin until you’ve warmed it up.

It can then be an easy task to pull the trousers back on in the morning/middle of the night for a call of nature.

I usually sleep in my trousers and t-shirt. One thing I have done in the cooler months is to pack a pair of down booties inside my sleeping bag. They take up no space when squashed up and it's a real joy to wake up with toasty feet! When hammocking I also have a down balaclava (off Aliexpress) It looks ridiculous but is super toasty and keeps my face out of the sleeping bag so I don't breath inside it all night, reducing condensation - the combination of warm head and warm feet is step forward for me when sleeping outside!

Back