• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Sloe gin

divebuddy

Staff member
This year's sloe gin under way a bit later than usual. I have had the sloes frozen for 6 months. Not tried making from frozen berries before.
IMG_20220526_131112.jpg

Just a question. When I make this I put a little almond essence into it after it's done it's thing and has been filtered. To me it seems to add "something" and is nicer but I know many don't add the essence. Are you an adder or a leaver outerer?
Incidently if you like soaking stuff in booze the other year I put a packet of werthers originals in a bottle of vodka. They don't take long to dissolve and it needs a quick shake before serving but it's bloody lovely.

Just a question. When I make this I put a little almond essence into it after it's done it's thing and has been filtered. To me it seems to add "something" and is nicer but I know many don't add the essence. Are you an adder or a leaver outerer?
Incidently if you like soaking stuff in booze the other year I put a packet of werthers originals in a bottle of vodka. They don't take long to dissolve and it needs a quick shake before serving but it's bloody lovely.
Don't add anything but sometimes do Sloe vodka or sloe Bacardi.

My wife likes her flavoured gins ( socially , she's not an alccy or anything) but doesn't like the prices charged for it and has tried a number of different recipes , blackberry , redcurrant and orange. I found out long ago that a decent quality gin is a better starting point and I also find that I'm in the minority in adding the almond essence. Only went wrong once when I picked up the bottle of almond oil rather than essence and of course it just floated on the surface. Scoop it off and do it properly.

I occasionally do a rumtopf which is similar but uses rum, a wider variety of fruit and a lot more sugar.
In Germany it's called a slemmer topf (spelling ?) a big old stone crock filled with all sorts of fruit and topped off with rum and left in a dark corner for months. The idea was to preserve the fruit but boy the rum used to taste good

Incidently if you like soaking stuff in booze the other year I put a packet of werthers originals in a bottle of vodka.

I recently read a survey and when asked what grooming products worked best the top replies were Werther's and Facebook :rolleyes:

I tried some Vodka with Blackjacks and it was different. :p

In Germany it's called a slemmer topf (spelling ?) a big old stone crock filled with all sorts of fruit and topped off with rum and left in a dark corner for months. The idea was to preserve the fruit but boy the rum used to taste good

Ladythings grandma was German and called it a rumtoft, no idea of the correct spelling but that's how it sounded, think we might still have one somewhere.

Ladythings grandma was German and called it a rumtoft, no idea of the correct spelling but that's how it sounded, think we might still have one somewhere.
Yep rumtopf is just a version of the same thing rum being the predominant spirit used. Being a lover of Myers dark rum I was quite into it

Back