• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

"slow Down For Deer".

lonewolf

Slightly Obsessed
Here in North Devon and Exmoor, where the large red deer predominates, the most risky time for deer collisions is right now, continuing through until early Winter, the 2 main reasons are increased deer movements during the mating season and shorter daylight hours.
The number of deer injured and killed in England in crashes with vehicles is estimated to be in excess of 60,000 per year.
For our 3 largest species of deer in the UK-red deer,fallow and sika- the mating season commences in late September with the peak or "rut" occurring in October. mature stags will already be on the move on their way from areas they have spent the spring and summer months, often to move many miles into the main female ranges, crossing many roads in the process.
During the rut itself, deer of both sexes are prone to rushing blindly across roads with only one thing on their minds!!
one of the most important things for road users to remember is, when one deer crosses the road there is another one not far behind!!
PLEASE BE "DEER AWARE" THIS AUTUMN.

Try to "clip" back end of Deer, jump out of vehicle-finish off quickly--in the boot and home for backstraps and Tea:)

Sorry LW I couldn't help myself:(
How long do I get in the "sin bin" mate.

now its okay mate, nearly had a couple of roadkill deer when we lived in Glastonbury but both times someone beat me to it! probably just as well as we haven't got the room to gut anything that size in a modern 2 bed semi, I think i'll stick to pheasants!!

collide with a deer and they can make a mess of your car, take it from me, i'm talking from personal experience!:p

I know my wife hit a Roe deer demolished the front of her car, the police came and put it in their boot lol. They called her "Bambi" at work for weeks lol

I hit one near Glastonbury one time, took out my nearside front headlight and it wasn't that big a deer.

there are now apparently 1.5 million deer in the UK, more than there has been for over 200 years, consequently the cases of Lyme disease have now increased by over 45%. better be careful out there in the woods!!

nor me, but how many people do you see cycling walking these days and they wear shorts? like that Ben Fogle every time I see him he's wearing shorts, people see that and they copy it.
I've lost count of people being air lifted off Dartmoor wearing what my SIL would call "inappropriate clothing", strappy tops, shorts and flip flops, and not a hat between them. people are crazy.

I have often seen ticks and been bitten by one recently. If you find an attached tick you can most easily remove it with either of two types of tick tool. I carry the older type in my EDC first aid kit. You slide the tool onto the tick's head and rotate the tool clockwise. This causes the tick's jaw to disengage. Ensure you've removed the entire tick. (Do not try smothering or burning the tick off, this doesn't work. Don't try to take hold of the tick as you will just squeeze it's contents into your bloodstream like a minuture hypodermic needle)
After being bitten by a tick you have a 48hour window of time to receive the correct antibiotic treatment in order to prevent Lyme disease. You may have to be quite insistent to get an appointment because the majority of doctors surgeries have never dealt with it. Take no chances, insist on being treated.

Ive had tick bites before but no Lyme disease so far.

regarding deer I've discussed it with friends who go stalking and with a ghillie when I had a go (four hours of heavy rain, coffee and chat with no sign of Bambi or his mates; the guide was so disappointed he gave me a 75% refund) and there is an issue that either a deer's kidneys or liver contains an enzyme that can taint the meet, either ruining the taste or in extreme making it a health risk; its one of the reasons that Deer are Garroched as soon after shooting as possible.

Their opinion was that any form of car impact would cause severe tainting of the meat unless you were very lucky.

I buy my venison- and the rest of my meat- from a local supplier, it isn't culled as such but when a deer comes into the farmyard-after the feed bins- they do not leave if you get my drift.
never managed to get any roadkill deer someone always gets there before me!
deer have TB which I don't think the public are aware of and i'm not sure what the signs are if I got a roadkill one.

I've never had a tick bite myself but our old dog used to get the odd tick.
don't go wandering through long grass in shorts, the tick is just waiting on the end of the grass stem waving its legs in the air for the next warm blooded thing that comes along, its not fussy if that's a sheep, a dog or a person!!!

Back