• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Small holdings

I ended up with two mantis tillers somehow, excellent little tools. I was more on about the big old ones that go down deep. I've got a big old Mountfield Empress I bought as a project a few years ago, I'll get around to finishing it one day.

I agree though, the mantis is worth its weight in gold when you've got a bit of ground that needs fluffing up.

If you ever need any parts or a service kit for it, let me know. I'll try to beat any Internet prices.

If you ever need any parts or a service kit for it, let me know. I'll try to beat any Internet prices.
Up in Suffolk I had a 20 rod allotment and used a 5 HP Mount field and in our very sandy soil that would really go deep. I had one major advantage that I did security at Ransome Simms and Jeffrey lawn mower manufactures so I could get all sorts of things made, for instance a furrow cutter for when I was planting potatoes and a hoe blade all of which fitted where the depth control wheel would normally go

Reactions: Ian
Mine is the 4hp model, although I've got a modern 5hp Honda engine that would go straight on it. I haven't decided which one to use yet. Both engines need putting back together but I've got all the parts.
I think autumn would be the best time to sell it, they don't seem to get much demand in the spring or summer.

Mine is the 4hp model, although I've got a modern 5hp Honda engine that would go straight on it. I haven't decided which one to use yet. Both engines need putting back together but I've got all the parts.
I think autumn would be the best time to sell it, they don't seem to get much demand in the spring or summer.
As a personal choice I would always go for the 5 I certainly wish I had one up here on our clay soil

I have a 3.5hp Wolseley Merry Tiller with two sets of tynes. Does a great job and breaks ground well.

I have a 3.5hp Wolseley Merry Tiller with two sets of tynes. Does a great job and breaks ground well.
Not sure what size engine the one I use is Dick because it belongs to mother in law. It has several different attachments but hardly scratches the soil when its dry

Still digging parsnips. Had a good crop this year.
WP_20170122_16_22_35_Pro.jpg

All we have left now is a handful of leeks, even they are rather close to going over, she is threatening to make some potato and leek soup this weekend.

Oh yes! Except the one time my now departed mother in law stayed and made it, she unfortunately used the rancid fat that was being collected for disposal in a tin next to the cooker! Let's just say it was a very long time before we could face that particular soup again. :(

Oh yes! Except the one time my now departed mother in law stayed and made it, she unfortunately used the rancid fat that was being collected for disposal in a tin next to the cooker! Let's just say it was a very long time before we could face that particular soup again. :(
:rofl::rofl::rofl: classic

Bumped this because it was being viewed by a guest. Back to the original post. It is relatively simple to get a CPH number to register as a smallholder in order to keep livestock. You don’t need to have a huge plot of land but you do need to register. To register livestock you would apply to the Animal & Plant Health Agency (APHA) for a herd number, each animal then receives a unique number in addition to the herd number in the form of ear tags so that it is traceable throughout its entire life. Keepers of certain animals such as pigs may also need to be registered with the Health Security Agency (Because diseases can cross over from pigs to humans relatively easily) Wild boar were mentioned earlier in the thread, since they can be rather unpredictable they must additionally be licensed by the local council as they’re considered “dangerous animals”
Smallholding is rather unromantic and much more about the paperwork than most people expect.

Back