• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Small portable Monoculars

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Been looking around for some time now with a view to buying a small Monocular Telescope.
Nothing to elaborate.....just enough to watch the wildlife when out and about.....be it camping or on holidays.
Something that will fit in a pocket or pack/small bag.
Some of them can be awkward to use if you are a glasses wearer.....and can mean perching the glasses on the top of your noggin to view through the scope.

Might have a punt on this one......comes with a useful tripod to attach a mobile phone to for a bit of photography......or videoing.
Could always put it on the Christmas wish list 🤔....hmmm.

Anyone else here use one similar when out and about?

I have a small monocular scope which zooms between 15x and 75x and find it very handy. However, holding it steady at max zoom isn't easy and I suppose the tripod would help in that respect. The clarity and focus at high magnification drops off a bit too. This is the one I have:

The one you've posted with the 50mm objective lens should give a better view than my 25mm version but obviously the ability to zoom isn't possible. It really depends on whether you think 12x is enough magnification for your needs?

I'd consider this one, though it's a bit bigger. It has 10-30x zoom and a 42mm objective lens

I linked to the wrong one Paul :rolleyes:.........best sort my glasses sorted out before I buy a Monocular I think.:D

This was the one I should have posted up.

Last edited:
Very nice, I'm still on the lookout for a good monocular/spotter scope. I have been playing with a night vision monocular called a Minox NV300™ which has given great results within the reach of it's tiny built in IR lamp. (good definition up to 80-100 meters) I plan to use it when lamping bunnies on the other side of the river in January.

I’ve got a small pair of binoculars in the shed I use for spotting fish…. Like the idea of the single lens option tho 👍🏻

I’ve got a small pair of binoculars in the shed I use for spotting fish…. Like the idea of the single lens option tho 👍🏻

Yep.....same as Mark.

The small Binoculars (fit in the palm of your hand almost) are O.K........but do not offer the option of attaching a camera phone.
The ocular lenses are also small and difficult to clear any condensation in the cold.
I have a Gorilla tripod mount......the type you can wrap the legs around small branches/fence posts....... that I hope will fit it......handy if you need more elevation for a group picture in the woods..... fields etc.
It will be nice to have in the woods when after the Squirrels.......save holding the rifle scope up to the eye when watching them in the canopy or spotting :)

Last edited:
My old telescope is a Russian military one that goes up to 25x zoom, nice and easy to carry but the focus adjustment is getting a bit worn and ropey. I would like to go down the route of a nice tripod mounted wide angle spotter scope with 65x magnification so I can identify quarry much more accurately.

after reading Bill's post I ended up buying this on eBay for£22. For the money it's ok.
I will see how it goes.
IMG_20211012_105537.jpg

High Power Prism Starscope Monocular Telescope with Low Night Vision, 10-30X42

Looks good Dick :).......handy little things to have in the car....pack.....or walks:thumbsup:

Let us know how you get on with it buddy :)

Santa might be bringing one for me......apparently I have to be a good boy though........so its in the balance :whistle::D

Just saw this video on the Starscope Monocular.
I'm not saying you bought a dud Dick as £22 is probably a reasonable price but it's clearly been hyped up on some adverts.

Interesting Paul but as none of the advertising on eBay was as hyped as the stuff he showed I wasn't expecting great things. The one I have is 10x40 as advertised and as you say it does a reasonable job for £22 delivered. 👍

Well it appears I have been a good boy after all :)

Santa dropped off this one down the chimney for Christmas.

Had a good look over it...... and it seems to be an O.K. little unit.
The phone camera is a breeze to align and attach to the holder.
Had a quick play out of the front door......took a picture of a dove on a roof about 30 yards away.......on 10X mag.

Looking forward to getting out and about with it.......happy Chappy :)

Attachments

• 20211226_122649.jpg
    20211226_122649.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 99
Cheers Mark :thumbsup:

Might pick up a cheapo telescopic tripod for it later on......come in handy :)

Not a bad idea mate, saves holding it all the time and would keep it much steadier👍🏻 Could you get an attachment for your shooting stick/tripod?

Not a bad idea mate, saves holding it all the time and would keep it much steadier👍🏻 Could you get an attachment for your shooting stick/tripod?

I did give that some thought Mark....yes.
But I would like to use the Monocular separately ( along side ) and not swop between the two if Im out and about or in a hide :thumbsup:

Back