• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
SMK SYNSG Review

Review SMK SYNSG Review

daimaesteg

Quite Addicted
daimaesteg submitted a new resource:

SMK SYNSG Review - Review Of The SMK SYNSG

I've got myself an SMK SYNSG .22 (Chinese re-make of a certain german sporter) it cost me £90 brand new, which in the grand scheme of things seemed too good.

I bought it at the British shooting show last weekend, amongst all the offerings there the rifle just somehow stood out above the other budget rifles there. I have been after a rat rifle, the sort of rifle that can just be picked up and good to go, for the past few months so when i handled this rifle it just felt right, the synthetic...

Read more about this resource...

I've heard good reports about this rifle in the past, a capable and cheap, full power hunter apparently.
Is the trigger single stage or 2 stage?

I'm after a tuned XS20 myself

if you like it mate then who gives a monkeys what the rest of the world thinks.the first smk b2 i bought was a cracking rifle and its still in use to this day.and it has a very hard working life now on the farm i used to have the caravan on.well done mate.

yeah to be honest guys without any extra work done to it, its never going to be as good as the top tier rifles; but then it doesnt have to be. its great to have a rough diamond in the collection.

its marketed as a two stage trigger, and there is some take up initially; but as the trigger is quite heavy i cant really find an advantage in it.

all in all a cheap, capable rifle.

Nice little review mate, thanks for posting.

Regards
Barry

I think I'm right in thinking that the action is based on the XS208, which in turn is based on the Diana Mod280. If this is right then Lyn does a very good tuning kit for these guns which as you know, transforms the gun.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a trigger upgrade on the market, but I believe the design is still quite recent so maybe one of the engineering firms will step up to the plate on that one soon.
I must admit, when I tried one of Lyn's tuned XS208 guns I was very impressed with the firing cycle, lack of recoil etc etc but I feel it was let down by that trigger.
I would be very tempted to have it apart and see if anything could be done, maybe just a polish and re-lube of the trigger unit would do it?
(I'm gonna have to get my own now and have a fiddle aren't I:rolleyes:)

This may be a different rifle, I know, but it has the same TO5 type trigger unit. Scroll right down the page, and you will come to a section called "trigger work". Your SYNSG can be a great gun with a little work. More details on uk chinese forum.

RWS 48/52 Tune

went for a hike today guys and soon as i got back about 4ish i headed out with the smk, its had about 400 pellets through it now and is starting to group tighter (probably because im learning how to shoot it better)

well anyway i put out two blood oranges, one at 20 yards and one at 40 yards to see what i could do.
from sitting position i was hiting both with ease.
same going for standing and kneeling.

used to the trigger now as well, as you all said though if you spend a bit of cash on them they can be very good.

grouping now under an inch at 20 yards and just over an inch at 40 yards.
but im planning on only ever using it at sub 20 yards, for rats. but i do believe the potentials there for this to make a nice all round hunter.

i will be flat out honest with you guys, think ive caught the spring feever at the moment!
even considering a .22, tx200hc eek! eek!

good to hear your lovin it mate,and there aint any better than a tx200,(apart from me hw97)go fer it DAI.

Nice to hear Dai.
One question though, do these have an ambi stock on them?

Their QC is lightyears ahead of where it used to be. Decent rifles made to a standard well above their price tag. Looks like a tidy bit of kit for the money. £90 doesn't go very far these days, especially in the shooting game. I'm saving up for a HW97KT but I'm going to get myself an XS20 in the meantime to tide me over. I'm certainly converted, I reckon Chinese rifles are a great place to start for anyone wishing to take up the sport on a budget. They seem to have something for everyone.

When I get the XS20 it'll be all fettled up & then, who knows? I'll probably buy a few more Chinese rifles & do the same thing. That rifle looks like it has a lot of accuracy potential if the trigger is tinkered with a little & given a bit of a tune. You can never have too many rifles! Who cares where they're made? If they do their job & you can have a good deal of fun with them, back garden or otherwise, the location of the factory is irrelevant. I'm definitely interested at that price, definitely one for the shortlist if you want a decent bit of kit & the old cash is tight.

My only gripe with SMK is they don't make enough left handers or ambi-stock rifles. They're sure loosing out on a big market.

My only gripe with SMK is they don't make enough left handers or ambi-stock rifles. They're sure loosing out on a big market.

With you on that one mate, not enough companies do. but a right handed rifle can still be used by a southpaw, providing it doesn't have a roll over cheekpiece like so many rifles these days. There should be more ambi stocks out there though. A dedicated lefty rifle would be brilliant, but me being me, I'd prefer an ambi, so if anyone else wanted to try out my hardware, they can, lefty or otherwise.

I've used right handed rifles over the years, but you just can't beat a rifle that fits like a glove. Air Arms seem to be leading the field in offering Ambi-stocks, so keep up the good work. There's nothing worse than one of those right handed cheek curling stocks that cut your bloody cheeks off if you're left handed. That's my moan for the day over !!!!!;)

This is my first rifle and i have to say i love it! so much fun to take on the range and all for £90! definately think an upgraded scope is a must!

This is my first rifle and i have to say i love it! so much fun to take on the range and all for £90! definately think an upgraded scope is a must!

Did you get yours for £90 new? I thought they were more expensive than that. You got a good deal there. If you ever feel the need to tinker with it then give me a shout, I've made all the mistakes before and managed to get mine shooting really smoothly:)

Well I inherited mine from my Grandad, however he paid £90 for it! Ill be sure to give you a shout if I ever tune it thanks Ian!

Hi all, how do I remove the foresight from the SMK SYNSG? I'm asking before I go rip it off and bugger it up!

Back