• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Snugpak 100l bergen

Have the smaller version from the same stable....... "70 ltr Rocket Pack".

Holds a lot of gear and offers good compartmentalised packing.
Tough pack and very comfortable to wear......much the same as the 100ltr version.

Video gives a good idea and insight.

Nothing bad to say about snugpak , did have a rocket pack but didn’t get on with it as I felt it rode high ( as military Bergans tend to ) and with the side pouches on felt a little too wide ( personal choice ) .

No issues with quality though ....

Military Bergens generally ride high because they are (or should be) designed as part of a system that needs to sit comfortably above the rear webbing pouches. They often for this reason have relatively basic hip belts (as soldiers don’t tend to use them) which don’t offer the same support as civilian versions.

Hi folks, does anyone have any experience with this brand or model, seems to be a good pack but at £100+ I'm after your opinions
TIA

I think Ricky (Forest Wanders) got one of those and he wasn't too happy with it. Maybe worth having your people talk to his people mate ???

There is a huge array of Military back packs around the world now...as there are civilian packs.....all made so much more accessible to "Joe Bloggs" with the onset of the internet.
Packs have evolved to suit different theatres of war/combat..... and new weaponry and gizmos
Gone are the days of the old 58 pattern and 303.......the choices are huge.....and the market flooded.
Somewhere amongst all of it there should be a pack to suit individual needs and expectations.

But.....is one pack enough :rofl: :whistle:

Military Bergens generally ride high because they are (or should be) designed as part of a system that needs to sit comfortably above the rear webbing pouches. They often for this reason have relatively basic hip belts (as soldiers don’t tend to use them) which don’t offer the same support as civilian versions.

As you say 👍

I have one, following OneShotWillies purchase of the slightly smaller RocketPak. I bought it for initially, a longer wild camp/canoe trip down the Wye last Sept., which never came off.
Although not yet used in anger, I have loaded it up, and it is easily able to carry more weight than I would want. I have been impressed with the quality of build, and the thoughtfulness of design: the hip belts and shoulder straps seem to work well for me. The ONLY thing, I could think to criticise in the design, is the lack of adjustability in the height of the back? The rest of the pack is so well thought out, this omission is a small shame. For me, it is really comfortable so far.
The massive removeable "rocket pouches" are fantastic, but you can tension them in for smaller loads, so stuff isn't swinging about.
Massive and fabulous pockets in the hood (3!!) and a small one in the base. A lot lighter in weight than surplus bags, and is swim bladder (sorry, water bladder!!) compatible, and the alloy frame is removeable and shape-able. Really looking forward to some serious use next year. I really like it. :thumbsup:
The optional extra yoke, (cheap trick, should be included) can be found sometimes for about £12 in sales.

I have had several bits of kit from Snugpak now, and am quite keen on their stuff. Favoured supplier is OutDoor GB......
Also checkout Summits UK, limited Snugpak stuff, but really helpful, also good prices.

Hope this helps, it's just my opinion..........
(In fact, that's my review on OutDoor GB's website.....:eek:)

Last edited:
There is a huge array of Military back packs around the world now...as there are civilian packs.....all made so much more accessible to "Joe Bloggs" with the onset of the internet.
Packs have evolved to suit different theatres of war/combat..... and new weaponry and gizmos
Gone are the days of the old 58 pattern and 303.......the choices are huge.....and the market flooded.
Somewhere amongst all of it there should be a pack to suit individual needs and expectations.

No.
Dammit.

I have one, following OneShotWillies purchase of the slightly smaller RocketPak. I bought it for initially, a longer wild camp/canoe trip down the Wye last Sept., which never came off.
Although not yet used in anger, I have loaded it up, and it is easily able to carry more weight than I would want. I have been impressed with the quality of build, and the thoughtfulness of design: the hip belts and shoulder straps seem to work well for me. The ONLY thing, I could think to criticise in the design, is the lack of adjustability in the height of the back? The rest of the pack is so well thought out, this omission is a small shame. For me, it is really comfortable so far.
The massive removeable "rocket pouches" are fantastic, but you can tension them in for smaller loads, so stuff isn't swinging about.
Massive and fabulous pockets in the hood (3!!) and a small one in the base. A lot lighter in weight than surplus bags, and is swim bladder (sorry, water bladder!!) compatible, and the alloy frame is removeable and shape-able. Really looking forward to some serious use next year. I really like it. :thumbsup:
The optional extra yoke, (cheap trick, should be included) can be found sometimes for about £12 in sales.

I have had several bits of kit from Snugpak now, and am quite keen on their stuff. Favoured supplier is OutDoor GB......

Hope this helps, it's just my opinion..........
(In fact, that's my review on OutDoor GB's website.....:eek:)
I've a different big bag but love the ability to remove the side pouches, for me it can mean I have to pack lighter instead of just throwing more stuff in the bag. :oopsy: Still have a hoofing big bag that will let me take all I need as opposed want. Quite like the day pack idea of the pockets too, only done it a couple of times but its an option.

Bloody hell Bill we were still using muzzle loaders when I joined up and carried all your gear in a shoulder bag

Well I found something else, it's a Dutch army Lowe alpine saracen? Half the price but looks more robust, so I think I'm going to try that first
i've got one of those and quite like it. i'm 5'4'' and had no problem rigging it to suit me, which is just to say that the adjust-ability of it is pretty respectable.

fwiw, do pay attention to the side pockets, probably best to get them with the pack if possible. as it happens i have the 25L, 50L and 80L Dutch packs and they DO NOT all have the same zipper orientation. IIRC it's the mid-size pack where the zippers are "Belgian Style" meaning upside-down compared to the usual British Bergan orientation. in other words not all side pockets will suit your pack, unless of course you're handy with a sewing machine and can re-do the zippers to suit your needs.

Last edited:
i've got one of those and quite like it. i'm 5'4'' and had no problem rigging it to suit me, which is just to say that the adjust-ability of it is pretty respectable.

fwiw, do pay attention to the side pockets, probably best to get them with the pack if possible. as it happens i have the 25L, 50L and 80L Dutch packs and they DO NOT all have the same zipper orientation. IIRC it's the mid-size pack where the zippers are "Belgian Style" meaning upside-down compared to the usual British Bergan orientation. in other words not all side pockets will suit your pack, unless of course you're handy with a sewing machine and can re-do the zippers to suit your needs.
Thanks @teef this particular one does come with the pockets, just having to wait a month as the bank said no 😂

Thanks @teef this particular one does come with the pockets, just having to wait a month as the bank said no 😂
fwiw i think you'll find it's worth the wait. the Dutch did good packs, especially so with the larger one which is what i believe you've been looking at. pack quality is first rate and the size adjustment system on the shoulder straps is excellent, imo.

Only thing to watch with the Saracen is the weight of it - a very comfortable pack to wear but on it's own it weighs about five kilos. That's before you put anything in it! I've gone back to a PLCE bergen for when I want to carry lots, cheap and it works.

That was one ....of the things I like about the Snugpak.......it's much lighter in weight, and yet a heavyweight? cloth.....if that makes sense!

Following Saxonaxes thread "weigh in", I started playing with weight and rucksack fittings in the garage........it's pouring with rain, and I couldn't sit in the house any longer........

Anyway, I loaded the Bergen with some 5 litre full containers (motorbike "Muck off"!!), and a couple of tents for bulk and had about 20 kg on it : still bucket loads of volume left. Now I'm a fan of this pack...but having spent too much time on U Tube, looking at rucksack fitting videos; the rucksack is NOT adjustable for back length, nor are the load straps above the shoulder straps raised at the pack, a small thing though.
However, I swung it all on, made sure the hip belt sat in the right place, pulled in the shoulder straps and chest strap, and all seemed pretty much ok. How long would I walk out, I can't say, because i haven't done a multi day hike since my youth....something that needs correcting. But all seemed ok.
I then did the same with my smaller hybridised LK 35 with an extra 5kg (why the extra?). but around 25kg. A little excessive! Again there's no load straps, chest straps or height adjustment. I even use the original shoulder straps.

If the Snugpak was fine.......this was more than fine. Go figure...........o_O

Oh well, what else shall I play with?.....oh yes, sort out the dry bags.................

Back