• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Snugpak stratosphere

Attn "Forest wanders"............I did have my F1 (cotton) out on a canoe/wild camp recently (hence my earlier post :whistle:) it it stood up totally to a couple of v heavy summer thunderstorm showers with no other protection.:thumbsup: Bone dry...................

One tigris range are spot on @Ark79 very light good quality too. I have the iron wall for my winter hot tent camping but will be spot on in the summer too
Gavin, what stove do you use with the ironwall tent and do you also use the inner/ground sheet? That is the onetigris tent that I've been thinking about getting but wanted a first hand account of it before buying.

😀aye prefer my f1 cotton tent to my Dutch army tent and hungarian/German army lavvu thingy.....same my wee f1 let's in no water 👌
...................aaah yes......... but the polish lavvu, when under £20.......:thumbsup::whistle:

If you can get a Dutch tent with the flaps over the zips, that's good.......but what a size when packed, almost as big as my Fairbanks!!!:eek:

...................aaah yes......... but the polish lavvu, when under £20.......:thumbsup::whistle:

If you can get a Dutch tent with the flaps over the zips, that's good.......but what a size when packed, almost as big as my Fairbanks!!!:eek:
Can you still get a Polish lavvu for £20?

Can you still get a Polish lavvu for £20?
No chance!! They are now stooooopid money, close on £80 on Military Mart for a so called large...really the only size worth having. Still bloody good one man canvas tents though...................
A bit like the Blacks Edginton Good Companion tent (my favourite) that recently went for £400 on ebay........ :whistle: :eek: :poo:

I didn't think so, I only ever see the size one at around £45-£50 pounds, anywhere advertising the size two or three is always sold out.

Gavin, what stove do you use with the ironwall tent and do you also use the inner/ground sheet? That is the onetigris tent that I've been thinking about getting but wanted a first hand account of it before buying.

I use the frontier stove mate with a small carp fishing bed inside. I dont use the inner sleeping pod that comes with it as I find it takes up too much room when you have the stove in there.

I have only used a very small bit of tarp as a ground sheet beside my bed just to put my feet on really when I get out of bed before the boots go on. But when I take it Scotland in January I shall use a full size ground sheet I have out of an old carp shelter of mine with the same size ground sheet with a bit of welding matt on top of that for the stove to go on.

It gets very toasty in there with the stove going with just one eco log. That much so I was cutting the eco logs in half. I have replaced the guy lines for some bungees which keeps it nice and taught once its up its solid

The pegs that come with it are nothing special but other than that I can not fault the tent very light weight and not that expensive for a hot tent. You don't get a flue jack with it one tigris do sell one for about £15 I think but I made my own out of a silicone baking matt and it works a treat for a fraction of the price.

They do another one called the smokey hut but they recommend the iron wall for wet conditions.
Hope this helps mate :thumbsup:

Hi Mark.

The "Snugpack Ionosphere" looks like a useful bit of kit in the same kind of vein and similar design......but more of a tent.....more freedom.
Its only a 3 season shelter.....but with the use of your tarp as well in the Winter weather to block out the wind would help.
Lightweight and compact.......and plenty of space for a matt of some sorts on the floor......easy pitch and pack.
Get the tarp up first if it's raining/snowing and pitch under cover.
Able to store your boots inside as well as other kit.
One of the gripes (there are always a few no matter what) is that there is no mesh pouch to store a light :rolleyes:
Would not take much to stitch one on.

Just a thought mate.....well you did ask :whistle: :) :D

Oh yes there is!! :)

forgotten about this thread 😁 I’d better update everyone lol

Thought about the lonosphere also👍🏻 The poles for the feet area was a plus for me, but I did give up on both the strat and the lono, for now Anyway
I hope now, you've UN given up on the Ionosphere.............?????

Just in case anyone has been looking at one of these, or any Snugpak gear for that matter, their stuff can normally be found for nearly 1/2 quoted list prices eleswhere, such as, for example OutdoorGB...........................

Just been watching a You Tube review on this...… and I thought that looks neat...….but then as I was watching, and don't shoot me down if I've missed the point somewhere........but the French Army(cotton) pup tent is about 1/5th the price, ALMOST as small packed, and has room for your kit under cover as well??o_O

I've always thought of my F1 as a glorified bivvy anyway....................
Well that's nonsense now, as I subsequently bought a Stratosphere, and then......:eek:.......an Ionosphere, that I really do rate for lightweight or stealthy camping :thumbsup:
(Still use and love the F1 too....)

Back