• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

So A New Question

This is an awkward one Joe to be honest.

Without stating the obvious like being prepared for the Moors in the first place......and letting someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.

That aside.

I think if myself and a buddy were caught out in dense fog and snow flurries and bad visibility I would suggest to my mate that we make the best shelter we can from what we have and whats around... together and stay put!!
It is never a good idea to wonder about on the moors in bad visibility.
Far better to stay together and wait it out.........if possible.......never split up.
So many things against you on the moors because of its size and features.......for instance bogs....... one of the worst to get caught out in and often found near rivers and streams......low lying ground.

Steep falls and trip hazards are everywhere.

Moving around in bad visibility increases your chance of injury tenfold.........turning a bad situation into a dangerous and maybe life-threatening one.

Wait it out......make for high ground pick a reference point and move on from there when conditions allow.

Hopefully, you will get out or be found..........If not.....my epitaph would read....." :poo: I messed up" :rofl:

Interesting scenario, if a daypack is taken then I would always pack a tarp as a rule so shelter is taken care of, water could be collected by various means, snow rain etc so in theory 'we' could survive days or longer, huddle for heat out of the wind, hypothermia would be the big risk.

This is an awkward one Joe to be honest.

Without stating the obvious like being prepared for the Moors in the first place......and letting someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.

That aside.

I think if myself and a buddy were caught out in dense fog and snow flurries and bad visibility I would suggest to my mate that we make the best shelter we can from what we have and whats around... together and stay put!!
It is never a good idea to wonder about on the moors in bad visibility.
Far better to stay together and wait it out.........if possible.......never split up.
So many things against you on the moors because of its size and features.......for instance bogs....... one of the worst to get caught out in and often found near rivers and streams......low lying ground.

Steep falls and trip hazards are everywhere.

Moving around in bad visibility increases your chance of injury tenfold.........turning a bad situation into a dangerous and maybe life-threatening one.

Wait it out......make for high ground pick a reference point and move on from there when conditions allow.

Hopefully, you will get out or be found..........If not.....my epitaph would read....." :poo: I messed up" :rofl:
I agree with you Bill, although I'm fairly familiar with the moor and it's inherent dangers I certainly wouldn't move over it in zero visibility

Interesting scenario, if a daypack is taken then I would always pack a tarp as a rule so shelter is taken care of, water could be collected by various means, snow rain etc so in theory 'we' could survive days or longer, huddle for heat out of the wind, hypothermia would be the big risk.
Morning Al, yes a tarp a bit of cordage and my ever present opinel and of course a few snacks that I always have with me. One important factor is knowing the prevalent wind direction which up on the moor is usually from the West

Morning Al, yes a tarp a bit of cordage and my ever present opinel and of course a few snacks that I always have with me. One important factor is knowing the prevalent wind direction which up on the moor is usually from the West
Direction wouldn't be a problem, so many tarp configurations possible to eliminate that problem, and I suppose, given the conditions we would be going out in 'we' would have fire making tools and possibly fuel, having never been to Dartmoor I don't know ?

Direction wouldn't be a problem, so many tarp configurations possible to eliminate that problem, and I suppose, given the conditions we would be going out in 'we' would have fire making tools and possibly fuel, having never been to Dartmoor I don't know ?
The moors can be very bleak just like the North York moors

Ok Joe, firstly I wouldn't even contemplate setting foot on the moors without doing a risk assessment and leaving an itinerary of my route with someone that I trust. I would carry the relevant OS landranger map, torch, whistle, compass (and probably GPS), group bivvy shelter, 2 full meals, penknife, fire starter, stove and adequate clothing.
If I'm out there of my own choosing I would know my route and position at the time that visibility became too poor to continue safely and would wait it out. Thiis would mean that my return was overdue and may instigate a search along my proposed route.
While Dartmoor has some serious hazards such as streams that turn to torrents after a little snow melt, waterfalls, bogs and mine shafts it is also crisscrossed by paths and drovers roads. Rock formations and walls to shelter behind (or in front of if the snow is drifting) while it looks and feels wild there are plenty of signs that it is a managed landscape, these are all entered on the landranger series of maps asking navigation possible even in poor conditions (as long as snow hasn't blanketed the moor, then all bets are off because then it's easy for even a local to get disoriented)

Last edited:
Ok Joe, firstly I wouldn't even contemplate setting foot on the moors without doing a risk assessment and leaving an itinerary of my route with someone that I trust. I would carry the relevant OS landranger map, torch, whistle, compass (and probably GPS), group bivvy shelter, 2 full meals, penknife, fire starter, stove and adequate clothing.
If I'm out there of my own choosing I would know my route and position at the time that visibility became too poor to continue safely and would wait it out. Thiis would mean that my return was overdue and may instigate a search along my proposed route.
While Dartmoor has some serious hazards such as streams that turn to torrents after a little snow melt, waterfalls, bogs and mine shafts it is also crisscrossed by paths and drovers roads. Rock formations and walls to shelter behind (or in front of if the snow is drifting) while it looks and feels wild there are plenty of signs that it is a managed landscape, these are all entered on the landranger series of maps asking navigation possible even in poor conditions (as long as snow hasn't blanketed the moor, then all bets are off because it's easy for even a local to get disoriented)
You like most members would be doing the right thing, unfortunately every year there are many tourists who go for a stroll on a sunny day get caught out and can end up wandering in circles for hours or even days

Anyway my choice of forum member would be Ned Bushcrafter AKA The Adder Man for no more reason than that we are compatible and that in any stress situation is as important as the knowledge that we both have

Back