• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

So what are we really trying to achieve?

Joecole

Very Obsessed
Yes I do believe modern ways and modern materials have there place in what we love to do
But do we really need secateurs to cut off rabbits legs? Know the anatomy of the animal and you can take off the leg with a flake of flint and get sinew for other things
Shelter building
Understand weather and prevailing winds and with a few basics you'll stay warm
Forget about what you had yesterday and concentrate on what you have today

Get out there and enjoy what nature has to offer while she still can

I guess it comes down to adapting and modernising and saving time as we don't live the bushcraft life full time. Well i don't or cant so i guess its about doing as much as you can when you can as quick as you can.

I guess it comes down to adapting and modernising and saving time as we don't live the bushcraft life full time. Well i don't or cant so i guess its about doing as much as you can when you can as quick as you can.
I guess that makes sense Lee

I think this is a very good resume of my plans on bushcraft.

Yes I do believe modern ways and modern materials have there place in what we love to do
But do we really need secateurs to cut off rabbits legs? Know the anatomy of the animal and you can take off the leg with a flake of flint and get sinew for other things
Shelter building
Understand weather and prevailing winds and with a few basics you'll stay warm
Forget about what you had yesterday and concentrate on what you have today

Get out there and enjoy what nature has to offer while she still can
Bumping this as it was being viewed by a guest, in answer to Joe's point about secateurs for dressing a rabbit... I find them counter productive as they introduce small shards of bone into the dressed meat. I prefer to cut and twist at the joints dislocating joints rather than cutting bone. I dress a rabbit into hind legs, fore legs and saddle. the pelvis, ribs, head and skin are minced and frozen to be given to the dogs. The only bit of the offal that I eat is the liver which is lovely fried.
Recently I have found that there has been an upsurge in diseased rabbits on one of my permissions so it is important to check the outward health/condition of the rabbit, for lesions on the innards as well as tape worm cysts. (especially if you are raw feeding dogs with it)

Bumping this as it was being viewed by a guest, in answer to Joe's point about secateurs for dressing a rabbit... I find them counter productive as they introduce small shards of bone into the dressed meat. I prefer to cut and twist at the joints dislocating joints rather than cutting bone. I dress a rabbit into hind legs, fore legs and saddle. the pelvis, ribs, head and skin are minced and frozen to be given to the dogs. The only bit of the offal that I eat is the liver which is lovely fried.
Recently I have found that there has been an upsurge in diseased rabbits on one of my permissions so it is important to check the outward health/condition of the rabbit, for lesions on the innards as well as tape worm cysts. (especially if you are raw feeding dogs with it)
Hi Mike I don't ever remember stone age man having secateurs though I would have to confirm that with mother in law,, the way you dress your rabbit is pretty much the same way as all country folk were taught to do it. Dislocate the joint then cut through. Lots of people do the same with pheasant which is actually the wrong way. The correct way is to dislocate the joint then cut through the skin, grab the foot and twist hard while pulling at the same time. The inedible bottom part of the leg should come away pulling most of the tendons with it

Back