• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

So What Really Is Your Idea Of Bushcraft???

Joecole

Very Obsessed
A subject that has been covered before but with no definitive answers

We live in a modern world but bushcraft originated in an older world but in my opinion the two can work together...I am as guilty as the next person of carrying far to must kit and to be honest I don't need most of it in fact for the summer meet I could with a little thought have got everything I needed with the exception of water into my 30 litre day pack. is it wrong to bring a tent as all of you did with one exception? No of course it's not because it's introducing the modern touch. For me bushcraft is all about embracing the old ways of cooking over wood ,foraging and being at one with nature, the ability to turn a piece of wood into a spoon with nothing but a pocket knife. These are the things I love to do. I see posts on here about the right axe (you in reality only need a hatchet) the knife has to be expensive and of course everybody has to carry the correct sharpening stone. For you it must be right because the books, experts and videos say it's right. For me it really is going back to basics...

Freedom.....relaxation.....soul and mind cleansing.....like minded company......and cake:D.....LOTS of CAAAAAAAAAAKE.

More of a Wild Camper myself....than a Bushcrafter.....but it does not matter what badge you wear or aspire to.....outdoors is outdoors....if its fun.....and you enjoy what you do....crack on:thumbsup:;)

As far as kit goes...whats right and whats not.....the main bit of kit you should look after is your person...feed it....hydrate it.....keep it warm dry... and functioning:D:thumbsup:

Freedom.....relaxation.....soul and mind cleansing.....like minded company......and cake:D.....LOTS of CAAAAAAAAAAKE.

More of a Wild Camper myself....than a Bushcrafter.....but it does not matter what badge you wear or aspire to.....outdoors is outdoors....if its fun.....and you enjoy what you do....crack on:thumbsup:;)

As far as kit goes...whats right and whats not.....the main bit of kit you should look after is your person...feed it....hydrate it.....keep it warm dry... and functioning:D:thumbsup:
A good response Bill:thumbsup:

Well, I like to make things from what I can find but I do admit that cordage is something I have to work on.
When I camp I like to make cooking utensils, a bench, somewhere to hang my things, haven't done a bush shelter yet but would like to if I had somewhere to go regularly. So for me it's, being in nature and using what I can to make it comfortable. Er so that's basically starting again from where we were many years ago. But not getting TOO comfy of course! Yet to have success making a cafetiere though. LOL

Well, I like to make things from what I can find but I do admit that cordage is something I have to work on.
When I camp I like to make cooking utensils, a bench, somewhere to hang my things, haven't done a bush shelter yet but would like to if I had somewhere to go regularly. So for me it's, being in nature and using what I can to make it comfortable. Er so that's basically starting again from where we were many years ago. But not getting TOO comfy of course! Yet to have success making a cafetiere though. LOL
That's exactly it Paul, as the German stick grenade showed;)

I would until recently have termed what I think of as Bush craft 'field craft' and thought of it as the way in which you exist outdoors. I've spent enough nights under tarps to appreciate a tent. Cooked in a fire enough times to appreciate my jet boil or gas burner. I don't believe introducing modern elements is cheating or lessening but conversely I don't think of camping in a tent and using gas burners with pre prepped meals to be Bush craft in the sense I think of it. I've only recently come to think of the more art side of it as Bush craft. I think that's more a symptom of being no longer a hot headed young man any more.

I think you can apply field craft to any expend that has its comforts to exist outdoors in a more efficient way.

I think it's entirely a personal definition mind you and don't begrudge others their difference of opinion.

I would until recently have termed what I think of as Bush craft 'field craft' and thought of it as the way in which you exist outdoors. I've spent enough nights under tarps to appreciate a tent. Cooked in a fire enough times to appreciate my jet boil or gas burner. I don't believe introducing modern elements is cheating or lessening but conversely I don't think of camping in a tent and using gas burners with pre prepped meals to be Bush craft in the sense I think of it. I've only recently come to think of the more art side of it as Bush craft. I think that's more a symptom of being no longer a hot headed young man any more.

I think you can apply field craft to any expend that has its comforts to exist outdoors in a more efficient way.

I think it's entirely a personal definition mind you and don't begrudge others their difference of opinion.
I agree that there is a place for modernity in bushcraft should you choose to take that route and in some ways that is the way I go but at the same time I don't think that the old ways should be forgotten. On occasions I like going right back to basics and do the things I did as a kid, just a few things in an old bag and what I had in my pockets

Good question, and some good answers, especially Joe's comment about going back to the old ways (you could call that Late Iron Age Camping - anything older than that is out of my comfort zone but (e.g.) I won't criticise flint axes as I've never tried one). And what Gizmo said about being in nature and using it - but in a sustainable way. This morning I saw a cartoon which showed two characters talking. One says: "Something terrible is happening which is threatening to destroy our way of life." The other asks: "What is it?" The first one replies: "Our way of life". Humans are a part of nature and it's our nature to use and modify our environment to maximise comfort. But for me the wisdom is in learning to do more with less consumption of resources and less impact. And for me, that notion extends as far as not buying any new kit, but getting second hand/army surplus, make do and mend, etc.

Good question, and some good answers, especially Joe's comment about going back to the old ways (you could call that Late Iron Age Camping - anything older than that is out of my comfort zone but (e.g.) I won't criticise flint axes as I've never tried one). And what Gizmo said about being in nature and using it - but in a sustainable way. This morning I saw a cartoon which showed two characters talking. One says: "Something terrible is happening which is threatening to destroy our way of life." The other asks: "What is it?" The first one replies: "Our way of life". Humans are a part of nature and it's our nature to use and modify our environment to maximise comfort. But for me the wisdom is in learning to do more with less consumption of resources and less impact. And for me, that notion extends as far as not buying any new kit, but getting second hand/army surplus, make do and mend, etc.
another good answer mate, Late Iron Age hmmm:rofl::rofl::rofl:

It is nothing more than camping.
I have an very old boyscout book that was given to me and every thing in there is what today is call bushcraft. Even showed how to make your cook kit out of old cans. From knots to knotching for pot hanger there is nothing new to day but what it’s called
What ever you like to call it just do it

Well I've read all the answers so far none of them are wrong to me bushcraft is adapting to your surroundings using nature and its materials to your advantage in the wilderness it doesnt matter weather you have the right axe the right gear etc the way I see it if it works for you and your happy with what you have then alls well bushcraft is what you make it from wild camping to bare bones survival training ( army ) we all have our different slant on it :thumbsup: ya have to be out there to do it ya know

It is nothing more than camping.
I have an very old boyscout book that was given to me and every thing in there is what today is call bushcraft. Even showed how to make your cook kit out of old cans. From knots to knotching for pot hanger there is nothing new to day but what it’s called
What ever you like to call it just do it
Nothing new because the art of bushcraft has been around because for many years I think its more about how we integrate modern ways of thinking and modern techniques with an old fashioned life style

Well I've read all the answers so far none of them are wrong to me bushcraft is adapting to your surroundings using nature and its materials to your advantage in the wilderness it doesnt matter weather you have the right axe the right gear etc the way I see it if it works for you and your happy with what you have then alls well bushcraft is what you make it from wild camping to bare bones survival training ( army ) we all have our different slant on it :thumbsup: ya have to be out there to do it ya know
exactly Ned

On a personal level I use a mix of old and modern gear and techniques but I have a slant towards the old ways and keeping them alive having all the modern gear is all well and good but what happens when it breaks or gets lost or broken just a my thoughts lol

So now "bushcraft", opposed to just camping has been explained to me, where does that leave "prepping"?
What is meant by that?

(I'm so street...........more like blind alleyway:()

Back