• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

So.....when

Im packed and ready to go. Camping wild in Thrunton woods, Northumberland walking and travelling daily to walks at Thrunton woods and Simonside Hills. Im looking at going around March time if allowed partial freedom. 3 or 4 days under the stars will recharge me :)

Yup, which is why I thought :rolleyes: I'd give it a crack.........it's only yards from the back door!!! :thumbsup:
Dutch ECW 90 bag, coz I love it if I'm not carrying it!!!

Still got his nose tucked up his arse I think..........to cold to climb out of the slug :rofl:

C'mon then @lol .................did you........and how was it.......the overnight I mean @Bam :rolleyes::rofl:

Bloody hell peeps, allow me up, breakfasted and stuff! :eek: :whistle: ( My nose is too big..........)

Dusting of snow during night and a squall in the early hours.......
Didn't take any special measures, slept on a Forclaz 700 cheapy airbed and in t shirt and keks, no troos, and light weight socks (hardly own any socks as normally barefoot)

....and perfectly warm* enough, very pleasantly surprised for a 35 year old bag, it was doing the job very well on it's own, several degrees below with a breeze coming under the eves of the lavvu ...which pitched tight was serenely quiet. I even read for a while................:thumbsup:

* I was aware sometime during the night that it was seriously cold, as that huge conk (nose......steady.......) was freeeeeezing!!!!!!

Excellent stuff Lol......glad you enjoyed your night under the stars.......lucky man :)
Was that the first time using the Bag?......kept you warm enough :)

Excellent stuff Lol......glad you enjoyed your night under the stars.......lucky man :)
Was that the first time using the Bag?......kept you warm enough :)
God no, had it for a few years now to supercede the Army Arctic 90, often use it if "camping/glamping" with canoe, big canvas and partner, so carried only in car.
A modern version, with a liner designed in the same way would be AWESOME!!!!

I was perfectly warm in about -6 with no other support really to keep things warmer. Probably/possibly the coldest weather I've been out in, especially with wind chill?
(I know when doing my DofE we froze the camping gas....had to thaw them over a primus!!! ☒️ ☠️ (couldn't find a BANG!!))

Sounds a good night out! My record is minus 11 degrees in 2014 at the HFT world championships at Kelmarsh Notts. Didn't have the army arctic bag then. Just a Vango 3 season. Had blanket and jacket over me and still cold. Worst part was nipping out for a wee at 3am. Had to light the stove when I got back into tent!

Sod getting out for a pee Dick :eek:.......the trusty Nalgene bottle is the way to go......even when in the hammock it is very doable:D
Something with a wide neck is preferable........helps to stop pizzing all over your fingers 🀭:whistle:

Turnouts however.......... need a more refined approach :cool:

-21 in Sweden, now going for your first cold πŸ₯ΆπŸ₯ΆπŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’©πŸ’© is both nerve racking and tentative lol I didn't have s clue how long I could take it out there in just my long John's and boots and hat, oh the joys

I have experienced the minus extremes in Sweden as my sister has lived there since 1968. Never camped in it but remember stories of frostbite. When women took their tights off the skin peeled as well! In winter they used one room as "umklauderum' where you could take your outside clothes off. (Think I spelt it right).

Yeah it must be a completely different way of life and mindset to deal with the temps day in day out in their long winter, that and the daylight, still, having only been twice I feel an affinity towards the place.

Back