• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

SOCKS FOR SUMMER USE ?

Erbswurst

Very Addicted
Which socks do you use in your leather boots and leather hiking shoes in warm and hot conditions during the summer?

Which material do you prefere?

Are there any tips and tricks about you can share with us?

If anybody should use boots with a Goretex Membrane, please write this!

I think that a Gore-Tex Membrane changes everything, if it is used in temperatures higher than 16*C, because the function stopps to work properly in this conditions.

Yes but the point is, that wool keeps us warm too. That's something I don't like so much, if I am hiking in the sun. I wear cotton shirt and shorts, but what shell I do with the feet???

Cotton sucks up the sweat without transporting the moisture away and glues under the feet.

And some plastics become even hotter than wool.

And barefoot I can't walk in leather boots longer distances. Should I do this, I get immediately holes in the skin.

In the trekking shops I find every mixture of material I could imagine.

A working solution in really hot weather are very but not to thin cotton socks in sandals or plastic mesh shoes. I use them in France over 25*C.

But what is the best, or let's say less worse in leather shoes?

@Matt Which Socks do you use?
Are they thick or thin ?

How warm does it become in the shadow, where you use them?

I largely wear my British army issue warm weather socks; the initial issue of these were effectively thorlo light hiking socks, subsequent issues were changed slightly but are good.

Realistically if it’s hot then Your feet will sweat; materials can be clever but they are not magic (the same is true with goretex; it doesn’t stop working unless it freezes, it just doesn’t work as well). The bonus is that when it’s warm your socks and feet dry quicker.

Does anybody know which kind of socks the British army used in the colonies in Africa and India?
Or in the battles against Rommel?

I don't wear boots unless I'm in the mountains, around camp I wear these...no socks

Classic Clog or training shoes. With boots, when I wear them I wear a couple of pairs of cotton socks.

I have a couple of cheap copies of this universal shoes.

I use them always and everywhere, but not for hiking.

;0)

Yes I guess it too.

In every old german hiking book they recommend wool and tell cotton should be avoided. And usually that is ment for all seasons.

Even after WW II everybody recommended wool and nothing else.

I have the impression, that wool is the best in combination with traditional leather boots, ok, now a days perhaps up to 30% plastic threads to hold the form and avoid holes.

And I think, that modern synthetic hiking socks could be perhaps meant to use them with breathing plastic shoes, with or without Gore-Tex membrane.
There they can transport moisture outside.

A woolen sock collects moisture more than it transports it and has to be dried out outside the boot in intermissions or hanging at the rucksack like at a washing line.

So, nothing new since the last 100 Years.

Did the British army use foot wraps?
Made from wool too?
A lot of very old photos show British soldiers in shorts and knee length socks.

I largely wear my British army issue warm weather socks; the initial issue of these were effectively thorlo light hiking socks, subsequent issues were changed slightly but are good.

Realistically if it’s hot then Your feet will sweat; materials can be clever but they are not magic (the same is true with goretex; it doesn’t stop working unless it freezes, it just doesn’t work as well). The bonus is that when it’s warm your socks and feet dry quicker.

^^^^^ This.

The only socks I really wear anywhere are the issue 'thick' black socks. I'm unlikely to run out and have given some to mates who rate them too.

British Military Socks 11- 13.5 genuine issue :: Army Navy Store

I've still got about half a dozen pairs of the Arctic Warfare socks for when its nippy but to be fair, the 'pussers thicks' aren't far behind them.

Does it exist in bright colours too?

I used in the French summer a pair of black sport shoes and a pair of other wise identic bright grey ones. The same model, just a bright colour.

I learned, that there is really a very big difference!
And I have seen, that the new french military boots have a sand colour.

I think in summer times sand coloured socks would be the first choice too.

Does it exist in bright colours too?

I used in the French summer a pair of black sport shoes and a pair of other wise identic bright grey ones. The same model, just a bright colour.

I learned, that there is really a very big difference!
And I have seen, that the new french military boots have a sand colour.

I think in summer times sand coloured socks would be the first choice too.

Just black or green I think mate. The arctic warfare socks are white with a red stripe round the top (I'm guessing to help you find it if you drop it in snow). There might well be better socks out there but I was getting them for free.

Yes, I know, a lot of people use Trail Running Shoes made from plastics in the summer and easier areas.

I did it too in the last years. But they are stinking as hell after a couple of days in hot conditions.

Do people hike in Crocks????

In France I have to wash my plastic trail running shoes every third day and they need nearly a day to dry, in 35*C in the sun!

Usually I am there with a car, so I simply use two pairs of shoes. But for hiking that isn't really an option.

Back