• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

SOLAR CHARGER/POWER BANK

Hi Ned.

Nice bit of kit mate and good clear video:thumbsup:

Could you also write the details down here for any one interested in the unit mate?
Comes at a good price too:)

This is a nice piece og gadget (I'm very interested to buy one). :thumbsup:
I don't know which you have bought Ned, but i made a quick research and i found many reviews about these gadgets and here are some from youtube.

So... Watch out for the quality guys. ;):thumbsup:

Well the one I bought cario is waterproof to a certain degree I've had mine for well over 6 months and its bailed me out more than once esp with pad and camera I'll post up the link to the one I bought off eBay I did a bit of looking into to these power banks

I haven't bothered to upgrade since the power monkey and explorer.

I never bought one before Lee a mate put me onto these big enough to do my camera and my phablet and will recharge via the sun it being a new type solar panel it will charge in any light thought this would be good when out for more than a couple of days

They are handy, I've not got a new solar charger I'm just using a 7500 mah power bank for now

I was looking at buying a solar mat kit ...

but am very hesitant as the UK is very gloomy weather wise

i can see by the SEXY review of the OP at least showing it does charge

the mat i am looking at is either the RAV or anker mats , which are about 20watts panels
Fyizb
http://imgur.com/a/Fyizb
Fyizb

i seen reviews in both text form and via youtube ... but it seems alot of reviews are from countries like the USA where the sun-shines .... Then i have seen text reviews of the products via product review ( from purchasers in this country ) that contradicts there viability within the UK weather

ideally i want to be running a light ( torch ) ,phone and possibly camera or one of those kindle fires off it ( not at the sametime )

so i guess my basic question would be - do these solar panels actually work within our weather system -ie: even on GREY days , as i have always assumed the new generation panels work on LIGHT not the sunshine

I guess i need reassurances from people who have experimented with solar

i can see by the SEXY review of the OP at least showing it does charge

the mat i am looking at is either the RAV or anker mats , which are about 20watts panels
Fyizb
http://imgur.com/a/Fyizb
Fyizb

i seen reviews in both text form and via youtube ... but it seems alot of reviews are from countries like the USA where the sun-shines .... Then i have seen text reviews of the products via product review ( from purchasers in this country ) that contradicts there viability within the UK weather

ideally i want to be running a light ( torch ) ,phone and possibly camera or one of those kindle fires off it ( not at the sametime )

so i guess my basic question would be - do these solar panels actually work within our weather system -ie: even on GREY days , as i have always assumed the new generation panels work on LIGHT not the sunshine

On obviously the brighter and more sunny it is the better but most solar panels are designed to work on cloudy days as well

Hi there, I use a RAVPower 24Watt Solar charger in conjunction with one of their battery packs In the dark and gloomy UK pretty much all year round.

There are only about 2 months in a year where you have to rely upon the battery packs and be cagey about the use of them. My Battery pack will pretty much charge my phone ten times over and then some. It will also charge my Tablet 3 times over without a problem.

In summer with the three outputs on the solar panel it'll charge the battery pack, the tablet and the phone all at once and the phone and the tablet will be fully charged in a day whilst the battery pack takes a couple of days to charge fully from as close to dead as it's ever been.

All in all it's a very good system, better than the solar gorilla and mini gorilla combo apart from the fact that I can't power a netbook from the RAVPower, but if it's just phone and tablet that you are looking at powering then solar is viable in the UK as long as you are cagey through parts of November, December and January.

I have been experimenting with solar for a long time, I have used Freeloader, Solar Monkey (Adventurer and Explorer with expansion panel) and the Solar Gorilla. So far the best system that I have used has been the RAVPower ones, which also come in cheaper than some of the others.

I think the solar monkey and explorers are old tec know all mine are in box I'm using the power banks now

I think the solar monkey and explorers are old tec know all mine are in box I'm using the power banks now

The Solar Monkey explorer was old and to revamp it they added an expansion panel (I bought these years ago). I then purchased a Solar Gorilla and mini Gorilla powerpack, which is capable of powering many different things due to it's multi voltage output. Last year they brought out a new version of the Solar Monkey Adventurer which had a larger battery capacity and had new tech for charging, which is what I own.

The RAVPower stuff was new on me and due to the fact that I was moving round to using a tablet more than a netbook I needed something with more than one USB outlet. The RAVPower provides me with 3 and the ability to charge phone, tablet and battery pack all at the same time.

I own two powerpacks beyond the Mini Gorilla, the Veho Pebble Explorer (8400mAh) and the RAVPower 22,000mAh with triple output.

All of these things go out of date very quickly so I do keep my eye on them, especially as my needs are constantly changing as well.

Hi there, I use a RAVPower 24Watt Solar charger in conjunction with one of their battery packs In the dark and gloomy UK pretty much all year round.

There are only about 2 months in a year where you have to rely upon the battery packs and be cagey about the use of them. My Battery pack will pretty much charge my phone ten times over and then some. It will also charge my Tablet 3 times over without a problem.

In summer with the three outputs on the solar panel it'll charge the battery pack, the tablet and the phone all at once and the phone and the tablet will be fully charged in a day whilst the battery pack takes a couple of days to charge fully from as close to dead as it's ever been.

in that case i found this - so this should over compensate

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNKINGDOM...39846&sr=8-42&keywords=portable+solar+charger

they do a 24v ( 54watt ) and a 18v (60watt )

with 9 panels ( water proof ) it should give you juice all year round ... someone posted a you-tube video of a guy who tests these panels above ... I watched one the other day . On the SUNKINGDOM 39watt panel ie: previous version he said it scored higher than the RAV and ANKER purely because it had the extra panels

he also went on to explain that these panels ratings are a load of "bull-sugar" from what i can understand is these manufacturers are inflating claims by conveniently manipulating output figures by doing a equation wrong "volts Vs amps "

in that case i found this - so this should over compensate

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNKINGDOM...39846&sr=8-42&keywords=portable+solar+charger

they do a 24v ( 54watt ) and a 18v (60watt )

with 9 panels ( water proof ) it should give you juice all year round ... someone posted a you-tube video of a guy who tests these panels above ... I watched one the other day . On the SUNKINGDOM 39watt panel ie: previous version he said it scored higher than the RAV and ANKER purely because it had the extra panels

he also went on to explain that these panels ratings are a load of "bull-sugar" from what i can understand is these manufacturers are inflating claims by conveniently manipulating output figures by doing a equation wrong "volts Vs amps "

Thanks for that, it may be a solution to a problem that I've had for a while at work, as long as I can get things to work with the solar charging regulator and get one of the company directors to sign off on paying for it.

As to the manipulation of figures, all of the companies do that and they have been doing so for a long time. Nearly all of the figures are based around 8 hours of summer African Sun rather than what we see as actual figures in a North Western European environment. Most of them actually state it in small print somewhere or in the micro dot somewhere at the end.

What I can say from experience is that the Solar Gorilla is nowhere near the match of the RAV Power solar panel, just because of the physical results that I have seen whilst using them side by side charging items that I use.

The panel that you've put up maybe something that will help a lot, but do I believe that they'll deliver 18V at 3.3A, the answer to that would be no, however rigging it up to a regulator is a sure fire way of finding an average and real figure.

I have had mixed results ..
The worst being sat in the Lake district last year with my solar charger in the blinding sun all day .. & not a trickle of power ..
Boy was i pissed so I took it apart ..
Bloody hell! in side what looked from outside like a red charge light turned out to be nothing but a piece of red plastic over a hole!!
Moral of the tale .. a 20euro thing from the german shop Conrad ... CON-rad ..
Now i have one from Enerplex which works really well ..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EnerPlex-CTC-2042-05-Surfr-iPhone-6/dp/B00U11TK1S

Enerplex make a whole range of solar kit but I haven't seen it in the UK or europe .. yet ..

The future-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4219518/New-battery-store-charge-TEN-years.html

it would seem a guy in a American university has just invented a power bank that stores energy up to 10 years by storing energy in organic molecules. The battery also last beyond the 1000 cycle curse of current batteries

interesting read if you like that sort of thing - whether it materializes in the near future is another thing

Like alternate oil power inventions, the copyright will be purchased and sat on by a big corporation.

Back