• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Solar charger

I'll show you my set up next time you're round mate. Its an old panel powerwise compared to the more modern ones but they do work. Can also be used for rechargeable batteries etc too.

Its similar to this.
Anker PowerPort Solar Lite (15W 2-Port USB Solar Charger) for iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPad Air 2 / mini 3, Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge and More: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I've got a powerbank with a solar panel built in but it takes a long time to charge it just from solar, certainly in our neck of the woods.

No probs in the summer, some winter days it might struggle. Powerbanks are your friend. ;)

I wasn't really interested, but I have seen some in several shops.

They are large and heavy.

And we didn't need them before.

That could be an option for boat or bike.
But surely I wouldn't carry that in a rucksack.

I really like to play around in the internet.
I'm using the phone a lot.

But do I need it in the forest???

Switch off your phone!

You can tell your friends, that you are in the woods, you can tell it to them via voice box, they should write you an SMS if something important should be, you would try to check the SMS every day and try to call them back or answer via SMS.

Than a normal battery stands long enough.
After a couple of days we usually buy some bread and are able to charge the phone there.

Orientation with GPS is nice in town. But in forest and field???

You have to learn and to train using compass and paper maps. That's the only thing wich is really secure.

Even in easy, very develloped areas and in some woods between villages I wouldn't let map and compass at home.

So. And for what should I carry GPS? And for what should I keep the phone available?

Am I the Chinese Minister of Defence?

It's no problem if I am not available!

When I was young, we said our Mother's and fathers: Good bye, see you in 6 weeks! We will not call you before one of us has to go in a hospital.

And we never called anybody.

That I can recommend to everybody who is able to do it.

And I recommend to everybody to keep his hiking rucksack as light as possible!

I must have asked a silly question to deserve that,so much good advice in one post makes me glad of my navigation abilities on both land and sea.I think I'll still take my phone might even buy a GPS for my sea kayak trip lol.

I have got a good solar charger (see the review on here ) but it is a bit overkill for just a phone

Another option for charging would be power generation from the heat of a fire which is a bit more guaranteed than the sun eh?
I looked at this for longer periods away in the winter when my camera batteries die quickly due to the cold but I've not got round to buying one yet.

@G1ZmO

I have not seen that power pot before Paul...........nice link mate 👍

I like that more than the Bio-lite stove, to be honest.
A good sized usable pot too.
They have obviously put a lot of thought into it with heat resistant cables etc.

Very nice mate.:)

Reviews are always useful to relate to Paul.

Certainly, some scathing remarks being made......but I wonder how much of the bad press is down to user error??
Have you had a look on youtube for reviews?

Wouldn't a practical solution be a crank-chargeable powerbank? I'm sure they exist but haven't looked into it... 🙂

Wouldn't a practical solution be a crank-chargeable powerbank? I'm sure they exist but haven't looked into it... 🙂

They do exist Baz in varying forms..........generally a lot of effort for little gain in the charging stakes.

Reactions: Baz
Ah I see. I just wouldn't place all my bets on the sun either.

Also while @Erbswurst said is true, fact is that a phone is such an essential piece of equipment you should keep it charged and with you at all times.
It is afterall, despite what some enthusiasts say, your survival tool no.1.
(And no.2 would be a bowl, but that's offtopic 😆).

My dad's friend snapped his back once on a hunting trip, dunno how but just saying. A phone might come in handy. 😉

Last edited:
For sea kayaking I see of course why a GPS is a good idea.

Some people hike BECAUSE they want to make photographies.

OK, for those people such a charger is a nice tool.

But what I have seen was in volume and weight nothing I would like to carry around.

I often have the impression, that people carry things around, because trekking shops sell the stuff.

For example Gas stoves. Every body has one every body carries it around.

I have one of the lightest gas kitchens on the market. (Description in the thread "How light is lightweight?")

It weights 500g, complete, without knife.

I didn't use a gas kitchen for many years. I absolutely don't need it in the most circumstances.

Should I now buy a self inflating mat, another 600g, and a GPS, another 300g and a power bank, another 300g, and a solar charger, another 600g, and some cables and spare batteries and what ever, and carry it around?
Why should I do this?

I do not need this!

May be other people need it, some scientists for example. I have nothing against people who use it.

But I never would carry such stuff around in central European Woodland.

What work for you works for you and sometimes you only,for example when I go away in my open canoe on a flat water trip I carry my gear in canvas and leather bags not because they are light but because they are traditional and are a well crafted item.However a sea kayak trip will require dry bags and more consideration to volume.We should never feel we have to carry anything just because someone else does.

What work for you works for you and sometimes you only,for example when I go away in my open canoe on a flat water trip I carry my gear in canvas and leather bags not because they are light but because they are traditional and are a well crafted item.However a sea kayak trip will require dry bags and more consideration to volume.We should never feel we have to carry anything just because someone else does.

Tru dat bro, tru dat.

Back