• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

solar charger

You wont get any ampage from that mate, it would take a week in desert sun for a full phone charge lol.
your better off with a power bank as technology has moved on from portable solar chargers and there's still nothing classed as portable or pocket size that gives out a couple of amps, there are better options other than solar chargers now, (although i do pack a power monkey for back up) i got A PYN power bank (7800 mAh version) a while ago, its smaller than a pack of 20 cigs and has a digital power led display:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PNY-MOBIL...415?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c8accb4f

I get 1 to 2 full phone recharges and 5 or so e cig recharges. (it has 2 usb power out sockets 1 is 1.5 amp the other is 2.2 amp the power bank recharges its self in around 2 hours from my car fast cigarette socket usb charger. There are cheaper Chinese versions of above but they will have lower quality batteries inside. Bill done a thread on these a while back. I would recommend the PNY 7800 mAh (and a tomtom fast charger to charge it on the move).

I can see two sides of this - powerbank technology has become the new fashion, but, eventually they run out of power so tend to need to be coupled with a decent solar charger (think powermonkey coupled with solaymonkey here). I use a Solio which, at the time I bought it, was comparatively expensive and is now a bit "old hat" but works okay. I also have a "Scotty" which was alleged to charge mobile phones (would take a week to gain enough power for a five minute call) but does charge two AA batteries internally quite rapidly :)

Lee makes a fair point in that you do need the sun to make a solar charger work at an efficient level, but that is the good old UK for you :rolleyes:

ive had a dig out of my charging bits and found a Chameleon solar charger i forgot i had, it takes 4 x aa batts and has a solar panel and usb in and out it was top spec at the time but i remember it never managed to charge 4 batts lol so it went in the draw mind you they were 2500 mAh batts so thats 10 amps in total as it didnt really recharge the aa batts i had no real use for it but now that i have a phone with a usb charging socket i can use it to charge my phone etc via putting 4 x aa batts in it ;) i also found a power explorer and power chimp i forgot i had.

As a codicil to my earlier post re the Solio I bought, it has finally started to pack up - ten years use out of it though, including charging my mobile through it alone for several years, not too shabby at all :)

Back