• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Solo 2 nighter

Bopdude

Extremely Addicted
Unfortunately @Madriverrob couldn't make it out this weekend so I kept it local ish, Brockwell Woods revisited, I took a tent this time instead of a hammock, I've been wanting to roadtest the Mountain Equipment Dragonfly XT since I got it.

Used the Tyvek sheet to a) keep it clean and b) to give the porch a floor

All set up by 3 ish and time for first tea :)

I used the Biolite Stove to cook it on and whilst it did cook it could have done a bit quicker for my liking, I was using cat litter in the stove and for some reason it just wasn't getting super hot ?

I had a play with old faithful, the wildwoodgas stove, I like this stove as it burns anything almost, but, I did manage to bend one of the pot support legs, not sure how, managed to straighten it up so so with my Leatherman but wasn't happy, I'll be sending off an email to ask if it's a common fault.

It was a cracking afternoon but the wind started to pick up and the temps fell, nothing drastic but enough to go looking for a skin, and there it was my Bison Guide shirt, sunning itself :)

Evening fast got here, fire was built and lit and second tea was started, new potatoes with home-made dehydrated mince and onions in gravy, hit the spot it did.

A couple of Stella to wash it down whilst watching the fire and I was in bed by 20.30

Moonrise ?

Sunrise

And sunrise brings ..................................................................... Breakfast, not as good as Rob's Mountain Man variety but it filled a gap :)

The rest of the day saw me taking a walk around and down to the farmhouse for more wood, a forage for more wood and drink a few beers, Breakfast had done me in so lunch was bypassed, well Breakfast and the knowing what was to follow for tea, half a neck of lamb in a stew concoction and the rest of the tin of Tom's left from Breakfast.

So with a cracking sunset

It was down to business

I didn't touch the sides, washed down with more drink of course sat watching the bush tv before bed, again around 20.30 iirc ;)

This morning saw me up at around 07.30, started another ( smaller ) breakfast whilst setting about breaking camp, a great 2 nights with a play with stoves and lots of food and drink, looking forward to the next one.

Tip top Al , sad I missed it , I’ll be available for the next outing !

Tent looks sweet , what did you think of it ?

Some fantastic food on the go there , we need a brand , the galloping bushcrafters ? Or the camp cookers ? 🤪👍

Great photos by the way .....

Tip top Al , sad I missed it , I’ll be available for the next outing !

Tent looks sweet , what did you think of it ?

Some fantastic food on the go there , we need a brand , the galloping bushcrafters ? Or the camp cookers ? 🤪👍

Great photos by the way .....

You were missed mate, I filled your boots with Caravan Dave for a couple of hours though lol, he came wandering through camp mid afternoon, had a beer and chatted a while, he drove back down with some wood and a jam jar of his home brew, then downed that, got up, went to his car and topped it up from a 25 litre ish container lmao

The tent is a cracker BUT I think I'll be putting it up for sale, just have to make my mind up on that score.

If you ever mention camp cookers again we're never going out again, ever ;) lmfao :D

Thanks all, yeah I wasn't more than 50 metres from the car so went in heavy, dehydrated meals are unbeatable imho, it'll be the norm for lightweight summer trips.

Thanks all, yeah I wasn't more than 50 metres from the car so went in heavy, dehydrated meals are unbeatable imho, it'll be the norm for lightweight summer trips.

I love my dehydrated meals, when you make your own then you can make them to your own taste. I tend to go with veggie as it lasts longer (less fat to go rancid) but lots of flavour.

Hi Bop 👍

Nice write up....pictures and trip mate.....thanks for sharing :)

Plenty of good food on the menu again......nothing better than scran in the outdoors.
About the tent........did it just not suit your needs.......too small......no headroom..........or some other reason for changing it?

Look forward to your next trip write up when your partner in crime is with you 👍:)

Hi Bop 👍

Nice write up....pictures and trip mate.....thanks for sharing :)

Plenty of good food on the menu again......nothing better than scran in the outdoors.
About the tent........did it just not suit your needs.......too small......no headroom..........or some other reason for changing it?

Look forward to your next trip write up when your partner in crime is with you 👍:)

Thanks for the kind words :) There's no way I would have taken that much food normally but the car was just there so why not ? The tent ............................ I can't put my finger on it, maybe it's because I was used to a tipi if tenting, maybe it's the fact that it's not the hammock ? It's a palace for 1 but not that much headroom, you can sit up just though, maybe it's the inner, I'm not used to one as a bivvy inside / under a shelter is my norm, I've no doubt that having to have hunkered down in Rob's that this would be great in very bad weather, I may still keep it, a bit of head scratching to do, would be great for the lakes etc.

And yep, looking forward to getting out again with Rob, next month ;)

Hi Bop.

Fully understand your feelings and thoughts reference the tent.............after being used to space/freedom and headroom of a teepee using a smaller tent would feel a bit restricted or cramped.
One of the reasons I opted for a 3 man dome with a decent vestibule ....plenty of room for you and your kit.......not ideal for hiking maybe....but for out of the car wild camping........ideal.
The tent in the picture looks nicely laid out and is a quality make.........if you did decide to change it.....it should sell easily mate 👍

Let us know if you decide on another 👍

I know when I bought it on the Bay it was fiercely contested so yep, if I do decide to move it on I shouldn't have much of a problem :)

Unfortunately @Madriverrob couldn't make it out this weekend so I kept it local ish, Brockwell Woods revisited, I took a tent this time instead of a hammock, I've been wanting to roadtest the Mountain Equipment Dragonfly XT since I got it.

View attachment 16423

Used the Tyvek sheet to a) keep it clean and b) to give the porch a floor

All set up by 3 ish and time for first tea :)

View attachment 16424

I used the Biolite Stove to cook it on and whilst it did cook it could have done a bit quicker for my liking, I was using cat litter in the stove and for some reason it just wasn't getting super hot ?

I had a play with old faithful, the wildwoodgas stove, I like this stove as it burns anything almost, but, I did manage to bend one of the pot support legs, not sure how, managed to straighten it up so so with my Leatherman but wasn't happy, I'll be sending off an email to ask if it's a common fault.View attachment 16425

It was a cracking afternoon but the wind started to pick up and the temps fell, nothing drastic but enough to go looking for a skin, and there it was my Bison Guide shirt, sunning itself :)

View attachment 16426

Evening fast got here, fire was built and lit and second tea was started, new potatoes with home-made dehydrated mince and onions in gravy, hit the spot it did.

View attachment 16427

View attachment 16428

A couple of Stella to wash it down whilst watching the fire and I was in bed by 20.30

Moonrise ?

View attachment 16430

Sunrise

View attachment 16429

And sunrise brings ..................................................................... Breakfast, not as good as Rob's Mountain Man variety but it filled a gap :)

View attachment 16431

The rest of the day saw me taking a walk around and down to the farmhouse for more wood, a forage for more wood and drink a few beers, Breakfast had done me in so lunch was bypassed, well Breakfast and the knowing what was to follow for tea, half a neck of lamb in a stew concoction and the rest of the tin of Tom's left from Breakfast.

So with a cracking sunset

View attachment 16432

It was down to business

View attachment 16433

View attachment 16434

I didn't touch the sides, washed down with more drink of course sat watching the bush tv before bed, again around 20.30 iirc ;)

This morning saw me up at around 07.30, started another ( smaller ) breakfast whilst setting about breaking camp, a great 2 nights with a play with stoves and lots of food and drink, looking forward to the next one.
Looks a nice trip. Great write up and pictures. You certainly have the scran sorted and it looks like it would hit the spot! I've got one of those wee wood burning stoves, I've still to master it...The first time I used it with damp twigs it gave off so much smoke I was worried that someone might think the forest was on fire and call the fire brigade! 😕

Back