• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Solo overnight and fishing trip

well NO! fish :rofl:

Almost time to turn in. Cracking views as the sun went down and the dark shows the fires all around the loch. :DView attachment 14380
Can’t beat it.....something rather peaceful and calming about a camp fire.

A wee poem @Joecole

THE CAMP FIRE

WERE WE SIT
WERE WE HAVE SHERD STORYS OF PAST AND HOPES FOR FUTURE AND DEBATES OF KNOWLEDGE OF LIFE...
WERE WE SHARE A BRU OR TWO
WERE CONVERSATIONS ABOUT TRIVIAL THINGS THAT SEEM TO HAVE THE MOST MEANINGFUL RESULTS AND FEELINGS.....
WERE THE GLOW IS AS THE SUN WAS AT Our FEET
WERE THOUGHTS SEEM TO BE FREE AND PEACEFUL
LONG MAY THIS CAMP FIRE BURN AND SPREAD WARMTH AND RETIREMENT OF OUR DAY
ITS MORE THAN AN ELEMENT AND AN ACHIEVEMENT.....ITS A FREIND THAT ONLY LISTENS BUT NEVER FAILS TO ENCOURAGE..
ITS WERE PROBLEMS ARE SMOULDERED AWAY NEVER TO RETURN THAT NIGHT
ITS WERE THE DARK NEVER ENTERS BUT STAYS CLOSE BY
ITS WERE THE SOLE IS CHARGED... OUR HAERTS ARE WARMED
ITS SOMETHING WE ADMIRE......THE CAMP FIREView attachment 14381
An excellent poem Mark

Right :D

Managed to leave at 9:00 yesterday morning. Very excited as it’s my first solo trip (unknown to me it wasn’t solo) and generally getting out in a number of days.....a lot of days:whistle: anyway....stoped of at the local shop/post office/coffee shop/takeaway. All crammed into a shoe box.and the owner with his smile upside down. Must have been the accent! I thought to myself?....to explain a Glaswegian accent has funny reactions in these parts if the people don’t know you. Lol. So I ordered my bait...bait I had to return for in an hour :thumbsdown: Purchased my 24 hour permit and if i toddled .....I then decided to pop in to a different bait shop at the top of the loch. Oh and am glad I did. What a warm welcome I got :(.........where do you come from what are you fishing for and you must have a permit..you do have a permit don’t you....can I see it before I serve you.......and all this because I asked if he had maggots :rofl: man what a walloper......I declined to answer his questions and about turned. And when further up the loch to a nice wee shop with a lovely old gentleman that served me with a how’s your day and thank you very much.....breath of fresh air so he was. Well that’s was my morning :rofl:

buckle up gentlemen as there’s more to come :lol:
Finally I found a spot. Perfect for the set up I was planning. And may I add I forgot absolutely nothing!...pat on the back for me lol. Anyway am getting set things are going smoothly....tarp goes up a treat. Learned the grip knot for attaching the tarp. Makes things way more simple :thumbsup: Hooked up the hammock at the right height....had to attache more rope to the hammock cords to fit the gap between the trees. After all knots where tied and toggles in place I stood back and admired my camp. I then decided to have a cigy and a lay in my hammock. Dropped my big arss into the hammock and down I went.... right to the ground.... arss bruised and modesty in tatters:eek:.....yup!!! the rope I used was feckin bungee rope :thumbsdown: I sat there for a few seconds lit my fag and remain seated until smoked lol. Finally all was done right and fixed according to the instructions :rofl:

Now for the fun part. As I was lighting the fire my silence was interrupted with a very large gentleman with what I can only describe as curtain pole rings in his ears and a strong Glasgow accent. Lol must be fate I thought.....in good spirits we had the banter and went on our ways exchanging pleasantries every now and then. Good man so he was. More people attend also....so it became rather busy......not the solo night I had planned for....soldier on I thought to myself......more people came.....and decided to throw beer bottles in the water and cut down part of a tree as fire wood:mad::mad: not the brightest of people......so as I sat chilling after my soup...the plastic police men appeared. Now I showed them my permit and he decided to preach to me about my fire and how I never payed my £3 pounds to camp. I calmly explain to him I had a 24 hour permit and am allowed to stay there for 24 hours. Now to let you understand why I was miffed. The two men just walked buy a group of idiots and was obviously intimidated by them. The ones that cut down a living tree....straight over to the solo lad (me) and tried to lay the law down......well I had everything I needed to legally stay there. But why should I make it easier for them when they totally disregarde there duties....so after a little to and throw they went there way and I sat my arss down and immediately forgot about them.

Rant over lads lol

All in a good trip. I enjoyed myself...even with the disturbance :rofl:......packed up about 5ish and headed home...stoped in on my friend with the shoe box mega store and his lovely personality :D actually fair play to him...he was still grumpy but made me a coffee and asked how the fishing went. Still I could see how much effort that took so I smiled back and said ..SHIT MATE!!!!

Hi Mark :)

What a brilliant account of your trip......enjoyed the read.....also felt your frustration in places.
Nearly fell of my sunbed pmsl 😆 when I read the bit about the bungee cord hammock extension ropes.....oh we’re doomed I tell thee :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Shame you had idiots chucking crap in the Loch......can’t educate pork mate :rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing .....hope you get out again soon and find better company next time :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi Mark :)

What a brilliant account of your trip......enjoyed the read.....also felt your frustration in places.
Nearly fell of my sunbed pmsl 😆 when I read the bit about the bungee cord hammock extension ropes.....oh we’re doomed I tell thee :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Shame you had idiots chucking crap in the Loch......can’t educate pork mate :rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing .....hope you get out again soon and find better company next time :thumbsup:

Lol a felt like a muppet bill. A cut the rope just before I tied them :rofl: all good fun mate. Enjoyed it so a did

Lovely, thanks for sharing the pictures.
I hope there were no encounters with sand fleas, looks like a nice breeding spot for those burgers .

I'm guessing you just weren't remote enough to avoid the eejits matey.
I enjoyed your account of the night, shame you didn't get your solo though.

I'm guessing you just weren't remote enough to avoid the eejits matey.
I enjoyed your account of the night, shame you didn't get your solo though.

Cheers mate:thumbsup:

The eejits was right round the loch by the looks of the police presence and the shouting :thumbsdown:

Cheers mate:thumbsup:

The eejits was right round the loch by the looks of the police presence and the shouting :thumbsdown:

Such a shame :(it is one thing having rules........but unless the rules are enforced........and sufficient patrols by wardens are made.........even covert......drones?.........the eejits will be there ruining the open spaces they are lucky enough and privileged to use and enjoy:(
Harsher fines and deterrents should be enforced.
As part of the punishment for littering and general vandalism.........the "Pond Life" should be made to report and pick up....clean up areas affected.......maybe they would not be so keen to litter again.

Such a shame :(it is one thing having rules........but unless the rules are enforced........and sufficient patrols by wardens are made.........even covert......drones?.........the eejits will be there ruining the open spaces they are lucky enough and privileged to use and enjoy:(
Harsher fines and deterrents should be enforced.
As part of the punishment for littering and general vandalism.........the "Pond Life" should be made to report and pick up....clean up areas affected.......maybe they would not be so keen to litter again.

Morning bill
Could not agree more mate.:thumbsup:

Back