• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Solostove Titan

Followthesun

Slightly Talkative
Like many of us, the emergence of covid19 caught us by surprise and ripped away any notion of a summer getaway to hedonistic islands and what not.

It was also a massive dunt for most of my hobbies that I partake in - cycling, running and the like. The whole 5 mile exclusion zone made sense, but was never really practical.

I digress. It did give me a lot of time to reflect on things and one of them was a desire to go wild camping. I have to admit, the inspiration came from youtube. Channels such as 'Dragon Outdoors' and 'Paul Messner' introduced me to a world I never knew.

Before i knew it, I was buying gear left right and centre and one of my first purchases was a solostove titan. An american designed wood burner that uses combustible fuel such as twigs, branches, pine cones, you name it. Considering it was American, where summer is actually warm a lot of the time, then it probably isn't hard to find such items. However, on a wet night/day in Scotland it can be. Therefore, I combine it with a small trangia alcohol burner as a back up and it's good to go. A terrific bit of kit that was extremely well reviewed, well designed and portable, I simply had to get it.

In hindsight, I probably would have got the slightly smaller version (Solostove lite) as it's even more portable when purchased with the matching 900ml pot which can be transported in one.

Can't fault this guys!

Attachments

• 20200708_220547.jpg
    20200708_220547.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 82
Nice one, I've got a smaller looking one that I got from ebay a while back for about a tenner, as you say, you need to be careful with the fuel, if its wet it can be very smokey. I'm a fan of the meths pots and simple 'triangle' stands, cheap and weigh next to nothing.

Where I live there is a lot of forestry commission or Welsh water managed open access land. I can get away with a lot of low profile camping but for me it's a bad idea to create smoke, it draws the wrong kind of attention.
Peeling away all the bark and keeping the fuel small and dry will help. Failing that charcoal is very lightweight and once it's going it creates far less smoke if burned in small quantities.
Like Andy (Bam) I prefer using spirit stove. I use a Trangia UL25 which will also fit a choice of small iron frying pans.

Reactions: Bam
those woodgas stoves can be superb, if you can get away with a bit of smoke while they "prime" themselves and get to the smokeless stage. i've tried a couple different models now -- fleabay cheapies -- and while some of the details vary a bit the basic design is hard to beat. i dream of a larger collapsible version but i've never seen or heard of such a thing, if it's even practical

for optimal burns -- little smoke but longer burn times -- i highly recommend standing deadwood of ash, blackthorn, oak or larch. the latter is a bit noisier (the usual coniferous pop and crackle) but they all give good heat and leave excellent coals that can long outlast many of the other fuel woods we have in our Scottish woodlands.

Back