• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Some walking sticks I've made over the years.

Albion

Quite Talkative
Evenin' all. I thought I would share a few of my sticks. Made a quite a lot of them a few years ago, but most have long been sold, given away or lost, these are the only ones I still have.

On left is my trusty Hazel staff I made earlier this year, which now serves as my dog walking companion out in the fields and woods. The Irish style one in the middle I think was either Hazel or Sycamore. And big beast on the right is Apple.

Evenin' all. I thought I would share a few of my sticks. Made a quite a lot of them a few years ago, but most have long been sold, given away or lost, these are the only ones I still have.

On left is my trusty Hazel staff I made earlier this year, which now serves as my dog walking companion out in the fields and woods. The Irish style one in the middle I think was either Hazel or Sycamore. And big beast on the right is Apple.

View attachment 18019
I see like me you appear to leave the natural bend in the wood, I think all the straightening BS can take away the natural apeal

I really like the middle one, is it blackthorn?

I'm 90% sure it's Sycamore but can't quite remember, I made that one around 6 years ago. Funnily enough I have never actually made one out of blackthorn, though now that you mention it, I do recall cutting a good piece of blackthorn and setting it aside a few years with the intention of making it into a stick. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

I see like me you appear to leave the natural bend in the wood, I think all the straightening BS can take away the natural apeal

Agreed, I think it gives them character. Plus I just can't be arsed with all the faffing around required to get them straight. šŸ¤£

Cant beat a bit of stick making and carving....especially sat in a wood somewhere :thumbsup:
The colours in the Apple wood are lovely.....I like that.

This post reminds me...........I need to finish a stick I carved for my wife.

Cant beat a bit of stick making and carving....especially sat in a wood somewhere :thumbsup:
The colours in the Apple wood are lovely.....I like that.

This post reminds me...........I need to finish a stick I carved for my wife.
Well you did start carving it about 20 years ago Bill, I'm surprised that woodworm hasn't set in

Yes Joe.....thats the one......need to put the glass bead eyes in it and give it a clear varnish to protect the dyes I used to colour it :thumbsup:

Back