• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Sounds in a silent wood

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
After spending Monday out on the bike all day, I decided that on Tuesday my life should return to it's usual speed, just above tick over.

I counted about a dozen Ducks close by, with more up by the old bridge when I crossed the lake on my way to the woods.
DSCF6343.jpg

All the signs of Autumn are in the wood. The Blackberries are almost finished, but there's still Vitamin C for free for anyone who looks for it.
DSCF6341.jpg

The Rosebay Willow Herb seed pods have all burst and there's plenty of Tinder available. It takes a spark easily but I've always found a whacking big handful of it is needed because it flares and burns so quickly.
DSCF6346.jpg

It was hot in the wood and the scent of dying leaves was thick in the air. I did my usual routine of walking for about an hour and then finding somewhere to sit, watch and listen. The woods may seem silent but if you tune in, there is much to be heard.

The leaves of the Field Maples die on the tree, they wither, dry out and turn brown and then they fall. If you listen, they clatter and bounce noisily through the lower branches, crackling like empty Crisp packets and fall to the woodland floor sounding like the patter of rain.
DSCF6350.jpg

Ash leaves fall while still green. They float gracefully down making just a whisper of sound, and land silently. To Pagans who follow the Norse way, Yaggdrasil, The World Tree, is an Ash Tree. To early Christians ( and still to some) the Ash is a dwelling place of Demons....
DSCF6349.jpg

I noticed this little Funghi living in the hollow stump of a dead Conifer.
DSCF6362.jpg

DSCF6363.jpg

Sitting quietly just watching I also saw half buried in the Pine Needles this lower jaw bone. A young Badger I think, I say young owing to the obvious lack of wear on the remaining teeth.
Nearby was a small tuft of Badger Hair although I suspect not from the same animal, as the bone was old and bleached and the hair still relatively fresh. There are Badger Setts within these woods, so no mystery there.
DSCF6364.jpg

DSCF6365.jpg

Heading home I thought it would be good manners to call on the Elf King, but he was out dealing with a dispute between the Dwarfs and Gnomes.........again...:rolleyes:....:lol:
So I stopped for a brew at his garden anyway.
DSCF6354.jpg

DSCF6355.jpg

I know there are fancy stoves and cookers that boil water in the blink of an eye, but I prefer my Army Cooker. I don't need a degree in engineering to operate it and it's simple...like me...
DSCF6357.jpg

Today I had a visit from The Whirling Dervish my 2 year old Great Grandson... tomorrow is rehab, furniture repair and change my wound dressings day....:rofl:

Attachments

• DSCF6343.jpg
    DSCF6343.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF6363.jpg
    DSCF6363.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF6341.jpg
    DSCF6341.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF6346.jpg
    DSCF6346.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF6350.jpg
    DSCF6350.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF6349.jpg
    DSCF6349.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF6362.jpg
    DSCF6362.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF6364.jpg
    DSCF6364.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF6365.jpg
    DSCF6365.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF6354.jpg
    DSCF6354.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF6355.jpg
    DSCF6355.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF6357.jpg
    DSCF6357.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 13
After spending Monday out on the bike all day, I decided that on Tuesday my life should return to it's usual speed, just above tick over.

I counted about a dozen Ducks close by, with more up by the old bridge when I crossed the lake on my way to the woods.
DSCF6343.jpg

All the signs of Autumn are in the wood. The Blackberries are almost finished, but there's still Vitamin C for free for anyone who looks for it.
DSCF6341.jpg

The Rosebay Willow Herb seed pods have all burst and there's plenty of Tinder available. It takes a spark easily but I've always found a whacking big handful of it is needed because it flares and burns so quickly.
DSCF6346.jpg

It was hot in the wood and the scent of dying leaves was thick in the air. I did my usual routine of walking for about an hour and then finding somewhere to sit, watch and listen. The woods may seem silent but if you tune in, there is much to be heard.

The leaves of the Field Maples die on the tree, they wither, dry out and turn brown and then they fall. If you listen, they clatter and bounce noisily through the lower branches, crackling like empty Crisp packets and fall to the woodland floor sounding like the patter of rain.
DSCF6350.jpg

Ash leaves fall while still green. They float gracefully down making just a whisper of sound, and land silently. To Pagans who follow the Norse way, Yaggdrasil, The World Tree, is an Ash Tree. To early Christians ( and still to some) the Ash is a dwelling place of Demons....
DSCF6349.jpg

I noticed this little Funghi living in the hollow stump of a dead Conifer.
DSCF6362.jpg

DSCF6363.jpg

Sitting quietly just watching I also saw half buried in the Pine Needles this lower jaw bone. A young Badger I think, I say young owing to the obvious lack of wear on the remaining teeth.
Nearby was a small tuft of Badger Hair although I suspect not from the same animal, as the bone was old and bleached and the hair still relatively fresh. There are Badger Setts within these woods, so no mystery there.
DSCF6364.jpg

DSCF6365.jpg

Heading home I thought it would be good manners to call on the Elf King, but he was out dealing with a dispute between the Dwarfs and Gnomes.........again...:rolleyes:....:lol:
So I stopped for a brew at his garden anyway.
DSCF6354.jpg

DSCF6355.jpg

I know there are fancy stoves and cookers that boil water in the blink of an eye, but I prefer my Army Cooker. I don't need a degree in engineering to operate it and it's simple...like me...
DSCF6357.jpg

Today I had a visit from The Whirling Dervish my 2 year old Great Grandson... tomorrow is rehab, furniture repair and change my wound dressings day....:rofl:
One word says it all
Beautiful

Attachments

• DSCF6341.jpg
    DSCF6341.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF6355.jpg
    DSCF6355.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF6354.jpg
    DSCF6354.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF6365.jpg
    DSCF6365.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF6364.jpg
    DSCF6364.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF6343.jpg
    DSCF6343.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF6363.jpg
    DSCF6363.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF6362.jpg
    DSCF6362.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF6349.jpg
    DSCF6349.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCF6350.jpg
    DSCF6350.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF6346.jpg
    DSCF6346.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF6357.jpg
    DSCF6357.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 14
Nothing like getting out there and enjoying the peace and tranquillity of the outdoors.

Reactions: Bam
Back