• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Sparrowhawk for it seemed an eternity

lol

Extremely Addicted
Stood staring not six feet away, straight into the fire orange eyes of a female sparrowhawk for, it seemed an eternity.

I had disturbed her caught lunch adjacent to me and she was not best pleased. Utterly beautiful:)

One of those magic moments with nature that will probably not be shared again.....but not forgotten either :thumbsup:

Reactions: lol
We have quite a few here in the eastern U.S. they call them American kestrels these days turns out they are falcons not hawks supposedly.

As I understand things...which isn't a lot !,... Sparrowhawks and Goshawks (Accipiters) are "shortwings" and with Buzzards and Harris hawks, Redtails, etc., (Buteos and Parabuteos) are "hawks"; and "longwings" such as Kestrels, Luggers, Lanners, Peregrines (Falco) et al, are "falcons", ignoring the gender description of some falcons as such?

Or do I have it wrong?o_O

It says on Wikipedia that what they call American kestrels aren't really a true kestrel at all but genetically closer to a Peregrine falcon. They used to call them sparrowhawks then they thought they were related to European and African kestrels but that turned out to be not so.

Back