• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Spinfishing / spoons

Rathwulven BC

Extremely Talkative
Hi guys,

I made a decision to dedicate more time to fishing with spinners and spoons (if this is the right translation for what we call "Blinkers" here). Frankly spoken I gave that up when I was like 16 or so as it was too frustrating to me. When going for pike, bass and such I usually chose to fish stationary with "organic" bait so to speak.

Talking to others there is still a lot of controversy on how to properly practise spinfishing, only one thing is rather logical: You need to invest time and gather experience.

Are there any tips or recommendations from your side?
Or any personal strategies you could share?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Rath.

Spinning....plug.....and lure fishing is great sport.
So many types out there to choose from.
Bass is my main target with plugs and lures.
I have found it best to have half a dozen casts off the beach on one stretch....... and then move on 10 meters if there are no takes.......keep doing this and then work your way back.
Over rocky... snaggy..... and shallow watermarks I use poppers mainly and find they work well.
Big fan of "Toby Lures" 28grm cast and retrieve varying the speed.
For deeper water, the "Dexter wedge" works well......sink and draw :thumbsup:

Mackerel fishing I use only 3 hooks with a lighter Dexter wedge acting as the weight.........Bass often swim with Mackerel so you have 2 chances of catching either.

Off of rock stages into deep water large Mepps work well for Pollock.........cast out and let the Mepp fall to the bottom.........wind up a dozen turns quickly when it bottoms out and then slow retrieve to the surface bobbing on the way up........come halfway..........and let it fall again.

Single rubber and plastic baitfish also work well with a spinning rod and a 1oz weight.

Lots to choose from and methods to use:D

I never caught a thing spinning, tbf though I didn't perceiver just gave it up as a bad job.

Getting to know your fishing grounds pays dividends too......have a good look at low water to see where the gullies and rocks are, fish holding features...... also where sand meets the gravel/pebbles.
Look for Gull activity normally a sign of something about.....probably baitfish that will attract the bigger fish.
Most fishermen are mostly friendly and only too pleased to offer tips and times/heights of the tide when fishing could be at its best :thumbsup:
Look for other fisherman and make a note of the times and state of the tides they fish.......and where.

When retrieving the lure Fast slow fast with a few rod tip dips and never lift your lure out the water to soon as pike will follow all the way.

Over here the best time to lure for pike is summer time as there stationery awaiting pray.

Pollock is a good lure fish. Use a jig head pushed through a jelly worm. Best colours are silver and black or gold and black.

Trout. Use a bunching Betty. Or a small spoon with led shot about 2 inch away from the lure. Helps you cast out farther with the small spoons also helps with movement. Don’t go farther than 2 inch as it has a tendency to tangle when casting.

Dead bait spinning is also productive. Best results are 1 treble hook in The dorsal fin. No weights just main line straight to the treble.

Only tried for Pike once while having a break by a lake.
Even tied some flies especially for the trip.
Each of the cabins came with its own small rowing boat so I fished from that.
A huge run of Bullrushes on the one side so I was casting along the edge of them.
We were there for 3 days.........did not catch one :rolleyes::rofl:

Reading your OP Rath I think I may have got it wrong..........are you talking about freshwater Bass?

First of all thanks for all answers so far.

@1 shot willie

I certainly agree on the point about knowing your waters. One way or another this is the key to success in fishing, no matter which style. That actually was the reason why I always used (live) bait and never really went spinning - years ago I wasted my allowance on spinners, jigs and such and just decorated bystanding trees, maybe that left a trauma :rofl:

Went out yesterday though (and, of course, lost the spinner I just bought two days ago to yet another tree...) - pictures of the result below, one single catch as that tiny fella got hooked right in his gills. I hate when that happens...

I am, by the way, talking about any type of predator. We got pike as well as bass, zander and the other usual suspects. I am more looking for tips or feedback on where to start, I want to improve my skills.

Hence also going out and just trying, trying, trying now. It's fun, breaks the routine. :)

Also got myself a new 2,70m spinning rod ordered, with a 3000 roll. Should receive this in about a day or two. Will keep you posted. :)

IMG_20180624_WA0003.jpg

Spinning is a bit like fly fishing, you've got to be prepared to ring the changes. even if its something as simple as changing the colour of the spinner

Hi Rath.

If your ponds and rivers have a lot of debris like trees that have fallen in and now become hidden obstacles........ try Poppers.........they are floating lures:thumbsup:
Be sure to use a short wire trace with the popper attached when fishing for pike :thumbsup:
The Poppers will work very well for the Bass too..........they slam into the lures when they take them.

Largemouth Bass on Poppers.

Also an interesting point, because: As I am not very fond of skills (yet) when it comes to spinning, and I wonder if colour really makes the difference. And why.

It was my understanding that it is predominantly the vibrations perceived by the lateral organ which trigger the fish, right?

Spinning is a bit like fly fishing, you've got to be prepared to ring the changes. even if its something as simple as changing the colour of the spinner

Also an interesting point, because: As I am not very fond of skills (yet) when it comes to spinning, and I wonder if colour really makes the difference. And why.

It was my understanding that it is predominantly the vibrations perceived by the lateral organ which trigger the fish, right?
A lot of my spinning lures have rattles inside them. Bright sunny weather and I personally go for dull dark lure,bright sunny weather a silver flashing lure with maybe a touch of red in it. People often fish a lure which is two small, a half kilo perch can easily take a 4 inch lure

@1 shot willie

Thanks for sharing the vids, is this your channel?
Never used poppers t.b.h. - gonna check that out.

@Joecole

Sounds logical. Frankly spoken I see old habits coming up here, most baits I used for stationary fishing are based on non-visual stimulation, of course.

That mentioned - do you guys actually use flavours or attractants for spinning baits?

@1 shot willie

Thanks for sharing the vids, is this your channel?
Never used poppers t.b.h. - gonna check that out.

@Joecole

Sounds logical. Frankly spoken I see old habits coming up here, most baits I used for stationary fishing are based on non-visual stimulation, of course.

That mentioned - do you guys actually use flavours or attractants for spinning baits?
I just let the lures do the job Rath, aniseed oil when I'm using bread paste fishing for bream and maybe a few drops in the ground bait

So, went out yesterday for an entire day and tried the new gear I bought:

IMG_20180627_WA0011.jpg

Just got a couple of little ones - but also a feeling for spinfishing:

IMG_20180628_145021893_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180629_WA0000.jpg

IMG_20180629_WA0010.jpg

Just too bad that there were no big fellas out there. Spent 12 hours straight walking a couple of km down the canal and it's side streams. Maybe next time...

Hopefully without losing baits then. Trees can be buggers . :D

Last edited by a moderator:
So, went out yesterday for an entire day and tried the new gear I bought:

IMG_20180627_WA0011.jpg

Just got a couple of little ones - but also a feeling for spinfishing:

IMG_20180628_145021893_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180629_WA0000.jpg

IMG_20180629_WA0010.jpg

Just too bad that there were no big fellas out there. Spent 12 hours straight walking a couple of km down the canal and it's side streams. Maybe next time...

Hopefully without losing baits then. Trees can be bastards. :D
Little streams and tree lined rivers then I would initialy go with a 2 metre rod although personally I'm quite happy with my 3 metre simply because im used to it. If you're catching a lot of small stuff then you need to fish your plug deeper and tight in against the cover because that is where the bigger fish will be

As joe said:thumbsup: but I suspect you will get the feel for it soon enough. Small fish large fish....it’s still catching bud

Certainly so, every catch is better than no catch.

I have been at the deepest point though - those are inland water canals typical for the Netherlands, for the freighters they have that depression in the middle (fairway would be the English word I guess). Went for that particular depth as I once heard bass has the tendency to go for steep contours. By the way also mainly targeted bridges and floodgates and some spots where there have been construction works and new rocky sediments placed. Worked rather well, I guess I lost one and had a couple of more bites. Four catches in total.

Certainly so, every catch is better than no catch.

I have been at the deepest point though - those are inland water canals typical for the Netherlands, for the freighters they have that depression in the middle (fairway would be the English word I guess). Went for that particular depth as I once heard bass has the tendency to go for steep contours. By the way also mainly targeted bridges and floodgates and some spots where there have been construction works and new rocky sediments placed. Worked rather well, I guess I lost one and had a couple of more bites. Four catches in total.
Spinning is very close to fly fishing Rath, 3 or 4 spins through a given location then you might have to change from a spoon to a plug or visa visa versa. also in this hot bright weather very early morning or late evening would probably be the beat time to fish

Assumed so. I went out at 9:00 am and actually had a set of wobblers, spinners and spoons with me. Lost at least one of each haha.

Frankly spoken the only bites were of bass, in the canals. I tried going for pike and zander at my usual spots when fishing with dead bait fish (i.e. dead trees etc.). Nothing.

But hey, it is what it is... :)

Allow the spinner dip down at the spots you mentioned dead trees etc 4 to 5 seconds a dip give it a few twitches then allow to dip again. Almost bobbing. Pike as you will know can need stimulation to strike. If fishing for perch and nothing takes. Try a worm on the lure.

Just out of curiosity. How fast do you retrieve the lure/spoon ? And is it a straight retrieve or do you twitch the tip of your rod ?

Back