• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Spit-roast Chicken

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
My very first attempt using only what gear I have and what resources are available around 90 mins cook time, nice smokey hint and not at all dry, very nice in fact , Tuesday a cheat dinner of Lamb chop with wild foraged greens (Nettles, Navelwort, Goose grass) a few pignuts to see if they can thicken a gravy a bit , a few Dandelion root chips (a few left round here). Could easily have rabbit instead of Lamb but I need to get back shooting again so I don't mind cheating a bit
P1020037.JPG
P1020039.JPG
P1020046.JPG

Brilliant Med, looks braw. How were the dandelion root chips ? I've not tried them.

Great job, can you show a picture of the spit set up obvs without the chicken, looks like a great way to cook in the 'wilds' :)

With the nice weather here , finally got started on my rain shelter for my campfire, cheated a bit with the clips but at least I can take it down should have it finished in a few days and then another chicken on the spit whist it is raining to see if it works, Duck breast on Sunday evening with some nettles, goose grass and honey glazed roasties and carrots. kipped out a again for a few nights and have noticed that there are SO many owls round here saw 3 pretty sure barn Owls
P1030001.JPG
P1030007.JPG
P1030008.JPG
P1030010.JPG

Very impressed with your attention to detail constructing that spit, Med.
My grandad always taught me to chamfer the tops of stakes that I was going to drive into the ground, it's those little touches that make the camp look spot on. The chicken looks great as well, did you use a drip tray under it to catch the juices? Also if you're going to do that often a piece of aluminium would work well as a reflector to concentrate the heat on the spit and shield you to allow you to get close enough to turn it without losing the hair off your hands and forearms.

Last edited:
Back